Trend Following "SUPER FUND" down

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by marketsurfer, Apr 15, 2009.

1. super fund down on the year:

Series A03.31.20091,894.62 -2.33 %-1.95 %

Series B03.31.20092,526.24-4.49 %-2.87 %

2. asap

asap

any serious professional knows that "trend following" is a not viable strategy in the long run because trends only exist in hindsight.

on the other hand, any so-called trend following system, would have to perform well in the present due to the impressive swings in the market.

now, it appears not only the fund is based on a false premise but rather it also fails miserably exploiting it when the conditions are favorable to do so.

:eek:

3. But they do exist, and if they exist then they can be traded.

4. AGREED.

It's best to buy support / sell resistance & keep some "runners." If a "trend" develops...all the better! =)

:D

5. I never heard of this strategy, is this new...:D

6. buying lows and selling highs is how fortunes are made.

surf

7. And it's also a quick way to the poor house if you don't know what you are doing....

8. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For 2008 Series B: Jan... -3.61%
    Feb... +24.60%
    Mar... +1.95%
    Apr... -1.20%
    May... +7.33&
    June... +12.54%
    July... -15.00%
    Aug... -7.28%
    Sep... +0.46%
    Oct... +20.14%
    Nov... +2.78%
    Dec... +2.60%
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Annual for 2008 ... +46.56%
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Only first quarter of 2009 Marketsurfer, game not over. :)
    If last year you only look at 3rd quarter, it is a loss.

9. so is "trend following".

:D

10. you must be joking!!! Pretty much ALL the funds that have a track record of 10+ years and which beat pretty much every hedge fund on this planet in terms of returns per risk unit are TREND FOLLOWING vehicles. Show me a hedge fund that made 60-70% returns per annum over 10 years+ other than through trend following. I show you at least a dozen trend following funds.

#10     Apr 15, 2009