Trend Following Research

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by Trend Following, Aug 28, 2010.

1. It's obvious from the massive drawdowns experienced that trendfollowing is truly nothing more than buy or sell then hope. Obviously thosewho guessed right direction and leveredup will make the trendfollowers hall of fame that season. The others who guessed wrong will suffer massive drawdowns that will eliminatemost but some will survive until the tides turn in their favor. Everything else is marketing.

Dats da truth folks

#51     Sep 2, 2010
  2. I would like to hear the trend tribes answer to my previous post

Thanks!

#52     Sep 2, 2010
  3. Surfs back.

#53     Sep 2, 2010
  4. Mr Outernational makes a very good point, but I'd add that the current generation of London-base trendies that dominates the industry, tends to go easier on the gas pedal. The big US-based trendies never caught on that clients can't withstand 30% drawdowns, and deeply resent being told later, "if only you hadn't redeemed at the lows..." -- since they often have no choice, by mandate, other than to redeem at a certain loss cutout level.

Certainly Dr Covel is entitled to focus on the trendie du jour, but it would be educational if he kept abreast of yesterday's heroes... "where are they now..."

#54     Sep 2, 2010
  5. MultiCharts shows exactly what is selected by a user in the settings. It doesn't know a price scale of the MC contract. So since Professor has selected the wrong setting and didn't see notice the difference how can you blame the product?

#55     Sep 3, 2010
  6. Yes. Good points but I believe the post was in reference to the chef calling the error a common bug. Now it's quite obvious that the chef only simulation trades.

#56     Sep 3, 2010

7. Excellent points, Dr. King.

I only wish the trend tribe would answer the points made instead of turning tail and running for the hills.

:D

#57     Sep 3, 2010
  8. Maybe, just maybe, managing OPM can be a bit stressful. They made their money and got out?

Trends exist, there is no question. They exist fractally as well. Use a tool to define your trend on your chart, and then acquire the underlying trend of that trend, and you have the start of a system.

Markets are not random because of sentiment. While it is true that no one knows when the sentiment will turn it does give tell tale signs that it is turning, and that is tradeable.

Surf used to use Neo-Gann channels, and did well until he got away from them. Prof would come onto Surf's thread and warn him, but to no avail, and he would wind up taking some large losses.

But to answer more directly the question, where are they now? Check up on the Turtles.

#58     Sep 3, 2010
  9. Hey rcg.

Trends don't exist in the now which is the only time that matters in trading. They appear to exist in the past but the same trending behavior is evident in random number simulation charts of consecutive runs. Heck, even ta patterns like head and shoulders emerge in random sequence charts.

Thinking about trends is the wrong way to think about trading. Other than after you enter directionally that is, then obviously a run in your direction is desired but this has zero to do with the past trend illusion.

Have you thought that surfs method simply stopped working? ? Breakouts work at times.

#59     Sep 3, 2010
  10. Andrew, you don't want to get into an argument with me. I seem to remember a cache problem that MultiCharts said didn't exist and was called every name under the sun after I discovered it.
    Miraculously, MultiCharts fixed the cache problem (you know the one that didn't exist) and then Dennis apologized to me for the rude and obnoxious comments made by one of your token support people.

The problem is an inaccurate value MultiCharts assigns to electronic Rough Rice. The default number of decimal places is incorrect in MultiCharts but I fixed it in my program.

I love the arrogance of you Russians to believe that it is a physical impossibility for you to make a mistake. Normal people have realized for centuries that we make errors occasionally and simply fix them and learn from them.

#60     Sep 3, 2010