Trend Following + Range Trading

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Wide Tailz, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Greetings!

Here is the range system to harvest the chop. 5 lines and p/f 5++
    I may just scrap the trend system after seeing this:

[​IMG]

#21     Nov 19, 2011
  2. nice idea. but I doubt it is easier than timing the market itself.

#22     Nov 19, 2011
  3. Run it till it breaks :)

#23     Nov 19, 2011
  4. The idea is to let the higher order trend system do the timing between the two equity curves, the same as how the main trend system times the instrument.

I can't seem to get tradestation to recognize two equity curves at the same time. Oh well. Time to move on?

#24     Nov 19, 2011
  5. #25     Dec 8, 2011
  6. Thanks for that.

I've got a funny feeling I'm going to settle for 2 simultaneous strategies running from one common program with a money management subroutine based on an historical array of daily buying power divided by leverage, or similar. You would think tradestation should have something like this built in. So far it's been the best out of three platforms I've tried (compared to seer and ninjatrader).

I just opened the taps on the trend program this week. First time I've ever traded real money on an automation. It's a strange feeling!

:D

#26     Dec 10, 2011
  7. ====================
    Good sarcasm:D

And while trend following is NOT predicting;
    i just did a brief study on the East TX piney woods;

It's definite area, map marked by an edge, where the rainfall differs much from the TX desert[Ft Bliss/Mexican border TX, LOL:D ]

Actually the Bible, [as your sarcasm perhaps hinted ], makes only few, but infallible predictions about cattle,wheat,barley, silver or gold.....

:cool:

#27     Dec 12, 2011
  8. yes,when one strategy does not work, the opposite one will work well.
    if fading does not work,then breakup works.

most markets are in the middle of range-band and trend. only few markets trend very well, also only few range waves well. those are two extremes.

That is why I do not stick to one strategy, I frequently switch. but I stick to my rules: the plan corresponidng to every strategy.

switch is not so easy. often when I saw a double bottom on a rally, I tempt to buy,but I also see double top. that makes me hesitate.
    at the mean time, if the market is dropping, I saw a double bottom, I also see a double top (if it drops continuelously).

after a while, I get used to it. but the better way is: stick to one sttargty. if the market condition does not warrant the strategy, walk away or shut down the computer. so your mind is not in either or state.

#28     Dec 13, 2011
  9. I have a hard time predicting a trend or trading range in advance though they are easy enough to recognize after the fact. I keep my trading real simple. I have a long term (months) trend following strategy and a short term (days) counter trend strategy among others that I just run all the time. Not trying to be the best, just trying to make money consistently and it has been working for me.

#29     Dec 13, 2011

10. +1

#30     Dec 13, 2011