trend following - quo vadis?

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by man, Apr 26, 2005.

1. congratulations to the prof. on the patent..... and i mean this sincerely. i would like to see it, if he cares to share.

however, i still stand by my ascessment that one is with the trend if he is making money and against the trend if he is losing money AND untill entry one does not know what will happen rendering the higher high, lower low etal mantra mute. furthermore, trend following as espoused by its evangelists is nothing but "buy or sell and hold" clothed in new age type trading lingo.

respectively,

:cool:

#51     Apr 29, 2005
  2. Maverick1

Maverick1

Hank

Would you say squaring price and time is new age stuff as well or rigorously grounded on quantitative ideas? Last time I checked it was the highly controversial Gann who originated squaring of price and time as a trading method

Maverick

#52     Apr 29, 2005
  3. slacker

slacker

How often do you calculate new levels of resistence/support? Why not every day?

Thank you,

#53     Apr 29, 2005

4. not everyday, the channel figures stand untill the trade is over with profits or the figures are proven incorrect.

#54     Apr 29, 2005
  5. slacker

slacker

Thank you,
    I think it was you who said in a recent post that it was important to 'test, test, test' your trading system. Am I mistaken?

How do you backtest to identify when 'the trade is over with profits or the figures are proven incorrect'?
    Thanks again,

#55     Apr 29, 2005

6. it is the figures themselves that have been tested to yield a statistical edge when trading within the system. testing by continuous realtime trading has proven itself.

AND.... this certainly does not mean that every trade will be succesful, simply that a given series of trades will yield overall profits greater than and less risky than other methods--- a sweet sharpe ratio so to speak.....

#56     Apr 29, 2005
  7. Maverick1

Maverick1

Would you say squaring price and time is new age stuff as well or rigorously grounded on quantitative ideas? Last time I checked it was the highly controversial Gann who originated squaring of price and time as a trading method

#57     Apr 30, 2005
  8. :)

Squaring Time and Price????

Gann????

Quant???? Tests????

Who actually understands Gann deeply and clearly enough to actually test (program) it???

:D :D :D :D :D

#58     May 2, 2005
  9. Holmes

Holmes

It's not that hard. He had many good and accurate remarks. And he was good at obfuscating things.

Sherlock

#59     May 2, 2005
  10. Holmes

Holmes

America's patent office really gone ridiculous.

How can you patent something that others have presented in slightly different ways but which principle is exactly the same?

Just that they did choose not to reveal it in public as much as you do does not make you the inventor.

There is nothing new under the sun.

Sherlock

#60     May 2, 2005