Trend Following: Profitable Reality or an Illusion doomed to Failure?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by AFJ Garner, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Trend fund performance in 2012

chesapeake -17.8
    dunn -18.6
    eckhardt +3.9
    hawksbill -13.6
    hyman beck -19.6
    millburn -5.3
    rabar -14.3
    sunrise -20.0
    transtrend +0.7

However, Dunn is up near 20% so far this year an investor advised...

#11     Apr 2, 2013
  2. you could argue that it is a negative sum game with commissions and slippage, not to mention being wrong statistically 50%. Same with regular gambling and yet both are industries in the trillions. People like to gamble/invest/trade on uncertain outcomes. why? it is fun/interesting/profitable.

#12     Apr 2, 2013
  3. kut2k2

kut2k2

The good news is that trend following is profitable.

The better news is that most traders, evidently including all the previous posters in this thread, have no freaking clue how to find a real trend.

Good luck with your MA crossovers, random entries or whatever.

#13     Apr 2, 2013
  4. How to spot a real system? The longer period you test, the better it looks:

• tfw.png
      File size:
      5.1 KB
      Views:
    #14     Apr 3, 2013

5. Yeap, 10 more flips coming up all heads should prove it conclusively...

#15     Apr 3, 2013
  6. To hell with the trend, give me the coin.

#16     Apr 3, 2013
  7. Lucrum

Lucrum

At least they're doing better than your PD's :D

#17     Apr 3, 2013
  8. Lucrum

Lucrum

Maybe that's what the problem is.

#18     Apr 3, 2013
  9. jem

jem

If you can not determine that markets are not the same as a coin toss, is it a head problem?

#19     Apr 3, 2013
  10. New poster here -- I've thoroughly enjoyed lurking for a while, though. While very comfortable with advanced math in my engineering world, I am not a seasoned investor nor a stats guy. Be that as it may:

If I plot a (ahem) Renko chart of the S&P using weekly ATR14 bricks on stockcharts.com, and trade every reversal the day after they print, I predict a 2012 performance of + 10.6%. "Buy and hold" looks to be a point better at 11.6%. This is one of the roughest periods I have "backtested", with the trending indicators tending to beat B&H handily, but of course the last 4 years have had a nice (trending) run.

Am I off base here? Are these false indicators? Here are the trades, made at the close to be conservative:

1/3: LONG
    5/15: SHORT
    6/26: LONG
    11/6: SHORT
    12/18: LONG

Max drawdown happened in late December when the trades were out of phase with the "trend" at ~ 10%.

#20     Apr 3, 2013