Trend following fails to beat index

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by marketsurfer, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Hmm, these guys with a billion in resources can't identify the trend? and a guy with a home computer and retail broker thinks he can??? something doesn't make sense. surf

#21     Nov 29, 2012
  2. yes, well that's really the question isn't it? Buy and hold asset allocation, whether it's the S&P index or some trend following CTA, or timing. For me and my family, we'll take our chances with timing. If you've been in a long time they give you a long time to make a change. You don't get out at the top, but you don't ride it all the way back down to where you got in at or worse.

For instance, I started selling my bonds that I was not using for income at 126. Proved to be a premature bad decision. But then again, I sold half my stocks to buy them in 2000, proved to be a very good decision.

I don't think there is a magic asset allocation that can turn the market into your own personal atm. To everything there is a season.

#22     Nov 29, 2012
  3. Pekelo

Pekelo

He did 24 times out of 28, not too shabby. But that is besides the point. Logically, if I fail to trade correctly a double top with RSI divergence*, that doesn't mean it is not a profitable method, it just means I sucked at it...

* Like this morning the 10 am short...

#23     Nov 29, 2012
  4. jdiercks

jdiercks

Oldtime --- you are right on! "to everything there is a season." There is no silver bullet!

#24     Nov 30, 2012
  5. DT-waw

DT-waw

#25     Nov 30, 2012
  6. don't forget the big one. Over 4 years 85% of all professional money managers under perform the S&P index.

So my 90 year old mother with her index fund is in the top 15% but she is not accepting any new clients.

But you are correct, every year a stock outperforms the index and every year a CTA outperforms. So when it comes to picking one let me ask you, "Do you feel lucky?"

#26     Nov 30, 2012
  7. This is why savvy investors know that you need to bet on the strategy being relevant in the time frame you are invested. Past results are meaningless dribble for the unsophisticated and naive-- heck, even the Feds warn them with the "past performance is no guarantee....." but thick skulls are forever looking backwards as is proven in the popularity of TA. surf

PS. Ask youself
    1. what's the strategy i am investing in?
    2. Does it make sense provided my views of the next year or whatever?
    3. Does the manager have effective fraud prevention controls in place?

#27     Nov 30, 2012
  8. ok, so now we have both made ourselves look smart based on the past. Let's talk about 2013. The future isn't that easy.

#28     Nov 30, 2012
  9. Visaria

Visaria

Take 10% of your assets and try and make a few hundred percent with it.

If you lose it, well it's just 10%, not a life changing event.

#29     Nov 30, 2012
  10. Exactly, but that's why we are not all multi millionaires-- most of us guess wrong. I like investing in 3-5 strategies and hoping one or more knocks it out of the park--- and the others stay flat to slightly down--- No clue as to what ones will do what, sometimes its the strategies you least expect... surf

#30     Nov 30, 2012