Trend Following dying?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by JezLiberty, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Trend following is not dying. From a deductive vewpoint using the correct HS and PM, all markets on all fractals having sufficient liquidity obey the P, V relationship that defines TF without anomalies nor noise.

Anyone can build his mind accordingly to trade with unconscious competence. Why not do the drills to do it like you did to learn to read, do math and drive a car? The normal answer is I don't know what drills to do and I can't find out. I do not want to trade like I drive my car or read stuff. It is my decision and that is that. I get the consequeces.

#21     Feb 17, 2010
  2. For indicator traders who have "tuned" indicators, the attached shows how after point 3 on a tape, the last move is signaled by four indicators: volume, two stochastics and MACD (for the three indicators see the purple lights among other lites). Notice the signal "sources" as well.

[​IMG]

#22     Feb 17, 2010
  3. bighog

bighog Guest

5 trades, + 1 tick, minus commissions. day not over yet. :D The beauty of trend following is when days like today start with whipsaws many trend followers will get discouraged and throw in the towel and post that trend following is dead. Then after a consolidation day even if the trend follow person just breaks out even..........the next day he/she might knock the cover off the ball by staying true to self. :)

maybe FOMC mintues will get us a pop..............even if old fed ramblings.

Jack, great chart........is it a cartoon? Great colors. :D Do you really take 135 trades a day to trade all that noise?

Mohd...........right, Nod is doing good. Lets give her good tidings.

#23     Feb 17, 2010
  4. Maybe you can get Nodoji to teach you some tricks

#24     Feb 17, 2010
  5. Lets say you are a trader who is well equipped to observe the market and you have a few feeds that help you out. My feeds and the suppliers oare evident to some.

Below is the DOM that is showing the tightness of the Walls. You also see the walls showing on the Price pane and not the stalagtites for all ten levels of the DOM.

The bid has three walls in the 1400 to 1700 so you know that price will reverse off them soon. The ask side is weak and only one wall is there and it it LESS that any of the Bid walls.

We are in a short, long ,short series and volume has died. All we see ahead is an even harmonic series of moves where the short is only dominant and not really a direction.

We are in the lull of the market on a news day. The news is designated to come out on a particular bar ant there will be three moves as a consequence then the market goes asymptotic to the prior context.

As you see different traders have different sensitivities to markets. Some see this others see that. If you are in business to make money trading, you have to get sensitive to be able to take the market's offer.

The OP, a vendor, is allowed to post his wares and shows his level of sensitivity. Others show theirs at various levels. Some even see whipsaw as their view. Whipsaw is a term ordinarily associated with losses and being fooled into being on the wrong side of the market over and over.

In this post, I simply drill down below all of this insensitivity and show how to anticipate the market to take what is being offered by using tool after tool that serves each purpose.

The story ends with the notion that at different times the expert looks in different places to get what he needs for answering the three questions. Getting tooled up is being discussed in another thread. A person has full time available and is not remotely aware of anything as yet. Watch him spend the next three months getting deeply committed to becoming insensitive.

[​IMG]

#25     Feb 17, 2010

6. no its chinese new year and they have all gone on holiday, the chinese rule the world now, don't you forget it.

#26     Feb 17, 2010
  7. bighog

bighog Guest

Laying low like a lawyer hiding in the weeds at a dangerous corner waiting for the next accident. 1098.25 could get some attention.

everyone waiting for 1400 est

..................................... no its chinese new year and they have all gone on holiday, the chinese rule the world now, don't you forget it.

The only time i agreed with jack. :D

#27     Feb 17, 2010
  8. Trading the subs of the BBT's is about 20 to 40 trades a day.

If a person looks at the order of events of channels cycling (which includes traverses, tapes, BTT's and their subs) then the number 135 comes up. How long this takes in bars or days or whatever is undetermined. Only the order of events is determined.

The elements of the pattern include four volume moves to three price moves.

For me I see and trade the point to point moves of volume and then price on what you call whipsaws. Each whipsaw has three trades as shown going from side to side of each whipsaw in the order of the moves. Most had H-H to show the price going through change from one correct side of the market to the other.

Seeing a wall on the DOM lets anyone know that price is NOT going past that value but is going to reverse and go the other way.

There are no "rules" but rather it is like driving a car and being on a street or road and seeing landmarks and traffic signs all about. You watch the other drivers going where they want to as well.

Where each line touches a bar and price turns the other way is where a person can, with unconscious competence, do the takings of the trend segments as the day passes.

In driving a car a person does not do exits and entries. He simply drives along and does turns when each road segment has taken him as far as it goes to complete that part of his trip.

In reading people read sentences grouped in paragraphs. They continue to read using punctuation and grammer and vocabulary understanding. People do not exits at the end of a sentense and close the book. they do paragraph after paragraph because each one tells them what is going on and what is happening.

drivers and readers do not see whipsaw. Neither do traders who are sensitive and have a method of doing things. Driving, reading and trading follow one of two routines. You use John Boyd's OODA. So does the OP who is a vendor. Anyone seeing chop is using OODA. that is what the majority do.

Ny routine is to be on the right side of the market and take full profit segments over and over using MADA a routine of monitoring, analysis, decision making and timely action. HOLD is mycommon action since I do the routine 6 to 10 times in five minutes.
    Monitoring has a lot of annotation and logging going on. I log 10 to 12 pages a day (portrait with 12 columns).

today we see the market do even harmonics to center on the pre news price. Then three moves will ensue and then the market will follow its prior context.

since I know the context I know the last move. Sonce I know the last move I know the next to last move. Since I know the next to last move I know the first move. I know the time of the first move, etc..

My day is pretty well set.

1. trade four whipsaws (your term of communication's sake) according to the three moves within each pattern.

2. trade the even harmonics into the CCC (centering)

3. trade the three moves for the news, and

4. trade out the rest of the day using the context and more patterns.

5. prepare and email the charts, the day's synopsis and carry over for tommorrow's open. I will not mail the charts posted since the list has those and this text already.

6. goof off.

#28     Feb 17, 2010
  9. I take them ( H- H ) to be significant at point of change . . . 1-2 and 3's- ftt's

Is this correct?

#29     Feb 17, 2010
  10. Here is a FTT sample, my last trade for today.....:)
    [​IMG]

• ftt.png
      File size:
      44.5 KB
      Views:
    #30     Feb 17, 2010