trend following & dealing with retracements

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by vita, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Probably because there are so many. Why would there be just one??

Get rational. What you haven't seen is not unusual at all for a person working as hard as you are.

#31     Dec 21, 2008
  2. This is not my thread to mess up any further.

I made a couple of points and those who need to trash me should do it on one of today's fraud threads or other complaint forums.

If you don't get it or are not interested in forwarding your knowledge, skip the silly comments.

#32     Dec 21, 2008
  3. jem

jem

I know you understand logic what a misdirection - sort of dishonest don't you think.

I agree there should probably be many - even if it were just due to luck and survivorship bias....

but I was asking for one. You would think you could produce one with some proof of profit.

by the way I googled and only found references to you going ballistic when the system on the collective turned crappy.

#33     Dec 22, 2008
  4. Sorry to dissapoint you, but that does not rise to the standard of proof.

And, giving you the benefit of the doubt this IB is not lying, one good day does not make a consistent trader.

Listen, you may be a con artist but I know and you know exactly what I'm speaking about here, so there's no reason to continue the dialogue.

You can't produce evidence that doesn't exist. End of story. (Notice how this story always has the same ending.)

#34     Dec 22, 2008
  5. The market only trends 15% of the time. These trend following techniques will lose money in today's market.

Take your sales when you can get them. You can always re-establish your position. The extra commission charges will be offset by your profitability. There's no need to watch positions retrace in front of your face because chances are you'll just watch winners turn into losers. We are NOT in a trending market. We are in a choppy, sideways market with some occasional micro day trends thrown in. Throw your trend following techniques away until we hit another bull market.

No one ever went broke by ringing in the cash register. The only way to be profitable in today's climate is to be a scalper, not trend follower. For the OP in his initial post, choose option (A).

#35     Dec 22, 2008
  6. Cutten

Cutten

Your comments presume a focus on one market, whereas trend-following is best used by scanning all major markets. You also presume that trend-following is used all the time, whereas you should only use those techniques when you have good evidence that a trend is in progress.

The way to use trend-following is to develop a way to judge if a market is trending or not, and then scan all major markets for evidence of a prevailing trend. Then, hop on the trend(s) that you find and ride them until there are signs they are over. If you find no trends, then do not use trend-following until one re-appears.

#36     Dec 23, 2008
  7. Have you considered what is in between a) and b)? My sense is that you do not know of all options available to you.

You need to learn options! The most trivial approach to address your problem is to convert the position to a covered call position with strike in middle of trend range.

The core of the problem of someone who holds only stock is that the only way for them to secure profits is to reduced size (BTW, a stop does not save you as in one night you could wake up 50% poorer). It seems that it never occurs to these souls that you can secure profits without reducing the size of the position! There are more sophisticated approaches. Let me stop here. PM me if you want to know more.

#37     Jan 1, 2009
  8. dino76060

dino76060

It really depends on what you are trading, time of day, volume etc. The advantage of trading one stock or commodity is that you get a feel for it. the disadvantage is that it might not be moving much so you have to scalp it and hope a big buy or sell order does not come in. I always get out too soon but my first goal is to not lose more then a couple ticks. This question is the holy grail of trading. good luck.

#38     Jan 2, 2009