Trend-following CTAs failing badly. 3.7% returns for past 10 years.

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by learner88, Mar 1, 2019.

1. You know what they say about something free like that: "It's worth what you paid for it!"

#11     Mar 1, 2019
  2. smallfil

smallfil

I actually bought his Penny Stocks Part Deux video plus the manual from one of his students. More out of curiosity than anything else. He pretty much shorted pump and dumps. Nothing new there. Still pretty risky because borrowing stock to short on thinly traded stocks at that, what if it runs up? Your risk to the upside is unlimited!

#12     Mar 1, 2019
    murray t turtle likes this.
  3. comagnum

comagnum

Dunn Capital is a good benchmark for trend following since they know what they are doing.

upload_2019-3-1_17-17-35.png

#13     Mar 1, 2019
    murray t turtle and Wide Tailz like this.
  4. And here I was afraid all the books on trend following might have given away the edge.....

#14     Mar 1, 2019
    murray t turtle and tommcginnis like this.
  5. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

Show us a trend-exploiting algo that is undermined by a lack of vol. Just one. :wtf:

:D

#15     Mar 2, 2019
  6. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

To repeat myself, "Size Matters."

#16     Mar 2, 2019
  7. %%
    Penny stocks,risk,risk;
    +not known for good trends. I like the time he tried to close out a long position,maybe@ $14+, dont remember all the details+his connection crashed. By the time he got it closed, he was up/profit much more than he intended to ..... LOL. [stocks still trend]

#17     Mar 3, 2019
  8. MKTrader

MKTrader

Looks like their edge over the S&P peaked at the end of DotCom crash (around 2003) and they've lost some ground since. Has the last 15-16 years just been a bad "cycle" for trend following, or is it just not as effective with all the algos and increasing market efficiencies? There will always be short periods (2008) where it works better, but will that make up for the less volatile periods where it churns away profits? Unfortunately, waiting a few more decades is the only way we'll find out about those questions.

#18     Apr 4, 2019
  9. %%
    Depends on market...….

#19     Apr 7, 2019
  10. ironchef

ironchef

I bet with the bull market every year since 2010, so am I a trend follower.

I am up more than 3.7%. Maybe I should turn pro?

#20     Apr 23, 2019