Trend Follower John Henry Assets Drop 80% In Year!!!

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by marketsurfer, May 29, 2007.

1. He heard it at a global warming conference.
    The debate about whether he went to see him is over.
    What are you guys, a bunch of Tony Robbins deniers?

#31     May 30, 2007
  2. A bit more context, please. Did he hear some gossip among the wait staff? I'm not saying it is not so, it is just that it is the first I have heard of it. It was an honest question.

And what, exactly, is a Tony Robbins "denier?"

#32     May 30, 2007
  3. basis

basis

This is a true statement. The poker game going on between some of the major funds is awesome. Renaissance, in particular, has kicked ass at this.

#33     May 30, 2007
  4. Why would you bother with that when you'd have to pay a management fee and a performance fee in the event that they were right? .... unless your implying that the funds holders are the ones being hosed by participating alongside them in such a game... then their might be a slight edge in the liquidity sense.

Is this what you are more specifically refering too?

#34     May 30, 2007

5. very interesting, jem. thanks for the insight! i like the outside of the box thinking.

surf:)

#35     May 30, 2007
  6. jem

jem

the reason why you would place a little money, is that you may get to see a good breakdown of their returns. Plus, some of the funds give you a run down of what events impacted their returns.

I only had a little bit of money myself but I entered a few commodity trades with a little extra confidence because I suspected they were going to get a pop from one of my commodity funds.

By the way i am not saying I had a ton of money. I had some. I was taking my daytrading profits and putting into some funds.

#36     May 30, 2007
  7. Because of that fact Jem many managers are very opaque in disclosing their positions. Even to investors. Guy's in the Bond pit would throw a hundo into Tudor, Trout or Dennis just to gauge what you're describing. The fund's quickly figured that game out.....

#37     May 30, 2007
  8. jem

jem

I agree. My dennis fund report was very opaque but after I while I knew what he was doing.

He was hunting down trends, did well in the British Pound. Had a serious draw down on some false breakouts and went large in the S&PS with some fast strategy. He had a sweet return for that month.

Then when he suffered drawdown again. he exasperated it with an S&P failure. Then he went into the death spiral as people took their money out.

I guessed all this based on observation. but after a while I new whether I was going to have a good month or bad pretty accurately. I am sure there is better intel with prime brokers.

However I had another fund where what he was doing was plain as day after I compared my monthly returns with commodity charts.

#38     May 30, 2007
    #39     May 30, 2007
    #40     May 30, 2007