Trend Follower John Henry Assets Drop 80% In Year!!!

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by marketsurfer, May 29, 2007.

1. nravo

nravo

Anywhere know where in Boca, this guy's outfit is based? He's hard to find. Address?

#11     May 29, 2007
  2. if hes a trend follower with every Market average worldwide breaking out

the dollar breaking lower vs every currency worldwide

and the metals/ oils/ commodities all breaking all time highs

what trend is this guy losing money in ????

i understand volatility is dead...but i dont see other "legends" closing shop

#12     May 29, 2007
  3. laputa

laputa

this guy averages down his trades (to some extend) to exploit the perceived negative serial correlation with trend following strategies... he had a reputation in the past of digging himself out from holes faster than most other trend followers...

guess it can work both ways...

#13     May 29, 2007

4. thanks for the lucid reply, pabst, hope all is well. Yes, ofcourse, an upward drift in equities can easily be shown--- i have no argument here. however, trend following concepts, when tested in equities show results no better than random entries. other than this, i agree with your thoughts for the most part.

regards,
    surf

#14     May 29, 2007
  5. easier said than done.

have you seen gold/metals personally?

have you seen crude lately?

even this past month on ES, nasdaq, etc... Have you seen them personally?

Seen RBOB? Seen Natural Gas?

How about soybeans before this past breakout?

How about Hong Kong and other international markets.

Not trending markets. They are chopping, and nothing is easy about any of it.

Despite some notable US equities breaking out (ie AAPL, RIMM, etc.) if you weren't along for the several week ride, you missed the boat.

Maybe if you bought the Dow and held you've done well.

#15     May 29, 2007
  6. Pabst, have you noticed that debating with marketsurfer is a bit like wading through molasses?
    :D

#16     May 29, 2007
  7. Puny position limit sizes keep big funds like Henry out of traditional commodities. Grain limits are 3million bushels in each delivery month. Not big enough for the mega manager. Hence those Goliath funds are forced into FX, Treasuries (where there's been no trend or volatility) and index products.

No doubt smaller more nimble trend followers have found some opportunities the past couple of years in energies, Cocoa and Corn. I agree though, it's always' easier with 20/20 hindsight.....

#17     May 29, 2007
    #18     May 29, 2007
    #19     May 29, 2007
  10. Exactly the Dow the chinese, Russian stock markets and some of the currencies AUD/USD, AUD/JNY etc apart from that very choppy everything is im ranges from crude to gold to corn

Cheers

#20     May 29, 2007