Travel Trading Setup... How to move monitors?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by badmrfrosty, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Surdo

Surdo

I could not have said it better.
    If you can't monitor a position on a notebook, stay home!

#11     Sep 17, 2010
  2. Was looking for hardware solutions not personal advice. Why are IT always so angry at the world. So true... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TzHbcXYwI4

#12     Sep 17, 2010
  3. R you kidding me.

I travel with a G4 large screen macbook pro that holds $100s of thousands of dollars of Music Softwear and a "Controller" (Like a key board/Synth) when I tour the Techno World. Real time, down load of MP3s sent to me live, during my show from producers all over the world as well as live broadcasting both Vids and the music to the Techno Fans world wide....all at the same time.

And you gota carry all that to Trade a few stocks?

Man, I feel for you.

#13     Sep 17, 2010
  4. True DJ > Trader

#14     Sep 17, 2010
  5. 17" MacBook Pro

6 lbs.

1920x1200 resolution and with "Spaces" you can flip between screens rather than carrying an extra monitor.

VMFusion to run windows on one screen if you like. (Some programs only run on windows)

I traveled extensively last year with this setup. Checked my backpack. Laptop & camera in my carry-on.

#15     Sep 17, 2010
  6. arbprofit2
    ---------------------

Bingo...thats all you need.

True International Supa Star Producer. Not a "DJ", as there are a million basement Djs in this world.

Not much of a trader anymore...do some stuff on my own. Left the trading world in 04 to enter into the Private Equity World. Of course, I work as a Independent Rain Maker.

Most Firms in the Private Equity World, well wouldn't put up with my Techno Label and my Jolts to IBIZA, London, Hong Kong et all when I wana do some shows.

But fuck them...the Standard Firm is a joke anyway.

Not gona give up my passion for rock'n crowds globally for a W2 and some stiff ass CEO and Sales wana be manager trying to play "Glenn Gary Glen Ross...bullshit. No time.....as I roll like a G6, in Style.

#16     Sep 17, 2010
  7. bespoke

bespoke

I'm always trading away from home too.

13.3 inch Thinkpad x300. 3 pounds.

1680x1050 x 3 remote logins (could be any resolution of your choice but that's all I need). I just tab through the different windows. If you really need to see 2 monitors at once you could bring another laptop. These are much smaller than monitors and you can display any resolution you want as long as it's not too hard on the eyes. Lots of < 1 inch laptops these days to choose from. Seems like a better solution than lugging around 24 inch monitors. You'll never have to worry about checked baggage.

#17     Sep 17, 2010
  8. Alcohol was invented for putting up with relatives... if you show up with desktop & bunch of monitors then proceed to lock yourself in a room & trade - the old laides will be talking about you, not cousin Eddy or whoever.

OP, look at Pelican cases. If you are seriously interested in an ultra small form microPC send me a PM. I know a guy in FL who makes computers for traders like this all the time- on the cheap, etc. Customized to your needs, etc. etc.

I would still strongly reccomend checking out Dell Outlet for a Precision Mobile Workstation (precision line in a laptop). you can get a 17" laptop that is robust enough to handle charting, etc. then only carry a 24" widescreen. You could fit both into a small pelican case and check them - or get an ultra thin pelican that fits inside your carryon for the monitor/s only.

#18     Sep 17, 2010
  9. Let 'em talk about me, it'l give poor old Cousin Eddy a break! Besides, I can fade the heat.:D
    I have a 17" Gateway that does all I need, and a 22" monitor I plan to pack in a carry on. Hope the stand fits!:confused:

#19     Sep 17, 2010
  10. OP, was going to PM this to you but figured I'd post here so others can search later.

OK here's what I found out from a guy i know that builds custom computers for applications like this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856107072&cm_re=ion_525-_-56-107-072-_-Product

That is a barebones price - you need a SSD + 4GB laptop RAM and you are up & running (plus OS). That Intel Atom CPU is the latest & greatest, has hyperthreadding and is a very solid CPU. Hyperthreadding capable so four threads out of two cores. A very very capable platform for remote trading. This MoBo also has a DVI-I AND an HDMI output so dual monitors = no problem stock.

As for your stands... Go to the hardware store and buy some velcro & those little rubber feet things you find on the bottom of home appliances, etc. Go to a picture frame store and buy a METAL/STURDY picture frame stand (the flat kind that folds out with a stop on the hinge). Unscrew stock monitor stand, apply velcro to back of the monitor where the stand snaps in, apply velcro to the picture stand... put rubber feet on the bottom of the monitor... good to go, now you have a monitor that stands up on its own and won't slide around.

As for packing them - Go to Home Depot and get some THIN fiberboard or plexiglass (plastic = better for planes). Cut down to the size of the viewable space on the monitor... go to a high end camera store and buy strips/sheets of lens cleaning cloth. Glue/double sided tape lens cleaning cloth to screen protection inserts. Tape the inserts to sides of monitor so they don't shift around.

Go here: http://www.hangerusa.com/ and buy the "V" size padded envelopes (i live nearby, send me PM if you want me to buy you some & send to you). You can also find elsewhere in the clothing/fashion industry.

Put monitors in the padded envelopes, if you can buy two sizes so you can double bag/envelope your monitors for extra padding. (just don't seal them because you need to take out for security inspection)

Shove in suitcase and head out to see the world. You can also buy a Pelican case and the foam and cut everything out so that your stuff fits inside a nice hard case - but that's more expensive and adds another thing to carry onto plane.

EDIT: Re: Intel Atom D525 CPU... benchmarks faster than an intel e6750 CPU. Also, the NVIDIA/Ion GPU has its own processor and 512mb ddr3 RAM so unlike a netbook, which usually uses GMA in most cases, this is similar to an external video card setup - only integrated to the motherboard.

#20     Sep 17, 2010