transitioning into an institutional career from prop

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by BOSS_HOG, Aug 13, 2003.

1. what you do sounds very interesting. how did you educate yourself to manage a portfolio and what is your background in the markets?? how long have you been managing money??

#41     Sep 11, 2003
  2. I PM'd you. I don't want to bore the crap out of anyone LOL!

#42     Sep 11, 2003
  3. Nah, we won't be bored.

#43     Sep 16, 2003
  4. excellent point, and liek stated here, you cant hide any experience when they look at your 7 records... trust me you do not want to lie or exclude anything when it coems to the securites industry, especially anything as easy as this to find

#44     Sep 17, 2003
  5. you can PM me, if your track record is legitimate, and im not throwing any judgements either way, id be surprised you cant fint clients or money to manage... what is your background? i know people in the carolinas

#45     Sep 17, 2003
  6. I think prop trading is alot like reality TV shows.

It finally allows all the people who have the ability and drive to trade or become a TV star take a different route to achieve what they wanted to do.

#46     Sep 17, 2003
  7. ===
    Boss;
    Realize this will reflect my market bias;
    but that is all right,George Soros said the market has a bias.

''The New Investment Superstars '' by Lois Peltz is a good hedge read.

Honestly dont know why a 3 year trader would want to work for someone else???;
    ''more focused and professional envirement'' as you say takes place in my home office every day,partly nights.

Realize some want more people around than others;
    personal time nights ,Saturday,Sunday hits that target.

I would rather be a wise boss than work with a bunch of ''hedge-hogs''

:cool:

:)
    ''In all labor there is profit''-Solomon trader king [ wise,discreet boss]

#47     Sep 17, 2003
  8. sle

sle

I can quote two reasons - more interesting products to trade (for derivatives folks like myself) and fatter paycheck. Since it sounds like the fellow in question is in equities, it must be the second one.

#48     Sep 17, 2003
  9. I see some excellent points made here.

However I would disagree with the get an MBA and/or CFA designation. I have both and they helped me hugely in my previous corporate fixed income career, but now that I'm prop trading, they don't help nearly as much.

The top guy in our shop is a Phd from an Ivy League physics program. Now he has the requisite skills (he is very consistent) and will morph into a hedgie.

Lastly, I can confirm that "prop trading" is rightly or wrongly, toxic on your resume.

#49     Nov 5, 2003
  10. Why is this? Is it toxic

a) If you dont have an other trading experience for an IB or related firm?

b)Is it toxic regardless of circumstances: ie layoffs, bad job market, etc..

In my case, I got laid off from an IB when our branch basically shut down its NASDAQ MM branch. I did prop b/c after waiting for 5 months, there was nothing else out there, and I wanted to at least try to make $$$, and at least "stay in the market" as opposed to sitting on my ass...

I cant see how that is a bad thing, under the circumstances. Or does HR or recruiters just not care about the excuses?

#50     Nov 5, 2003