Transition to full time trader quitting school and work

Discussion in 'Trading' started by apo99, Nov 13, 2016.

1. apo99

apo99

Good point having a second income stream seems to take the pressure off a bit.

#191     May 15, 2018
  2. apo99

apo99

Just an update 5 years later.

I am still trading and doing okay

Have not had a losing year since 2011.

Still averaging 90-130k a year

Unfortunately cannot get out of that range.

I still have a regular job

I still believe that if i put all the energy and time that i did into trading into a conventional business i would be much better off, but that ship has sailed.

Take care and il check in a few more years.

#192     Mar 31, 2021
  3. Sprout

Sprout

At your age, crypto is where it's at - especially the innovations in DeFi with choice projects producing 10x, 100x, 1000x,... returns.

#193     Apr 1, 2021
  4. apo99

apo99

quick update

2021 is looking to be my best year ever

im am testing this strategy in the ASX as well.

take care

#194     Jun 7, 2021
  5. apo99

apo99

just to update you guys,

best year was in 2021 % wise and $ wise

took a 200k loss this year in 2 days, took a huge option trade and screwed up, something i had no business doing, considering i only trade tsx v equities

This had nothing to do with my system

evidently this was the same day as my 30th birthday and i got a big raise at work on the same day.

Was a very bad loss for me as i closed on my first home and a investment property a few weeks prior to this.

Volume on the venture has disappeared so its been even worse since im only trading 1/10 of my normal size and frequency. My asx strategy did well in 2021 and is still green in 2022,

I am working on a short only strategy for the venture exchange.

This will probably be my first down year in 12 years

Very hard year overall but il keep pushing.

Take care!

#195     Jul 31, 2022
  6. Why do you choose to branch out into the ASX?

#196     Aug 1, 2022
  7. apo99

apo99

the asx is very similar to the tsx venture,

especially for illiquid stocks under $5

#197     Aug 1, 2022
    getthatintoya likes this.
  8. apo99

apo99

Well almost 8 years, since i wrote this post.

still alive but barely.

that huge loss last year really crushed me and the TSX venture is slowly dying.

last year was my first losing year in 12 years and I'm pretty flat this year so not looking great.

Having lots of expenses doesn't help either.

i stopped trading the ASX, I was making a small profit but couldn't scale it and it was too much work trading both time zones.

im working on a short only strategy for the tsx venture but the fees are outrageous.

i still have some fight in me but its getting harder.

take care Jabronis and il update you in another year!!

#198     Nov 12, 2023
    ironchef likes this.
  9. themickey

themickey

I was reading this yesterday and thought to post it here, you may find it interesting.
    Refer to link at bottom.

How Canada – and Bay Street – squandered the chance to finance the critical minerals revolution
    Tim Kiladze - The Globe and Mail | November 10, 2023 | Battery Metals Intelligence Canada Copper Specialty Minerals
    [​IMG]
    Stock Image (Reference image from Pxfuel.)
    This story is part of Mission Critical, a Globe series that looks at the issues around whether Canada can become a mining superpower in critical minerals used in the clean energy transition.

Also read the most recent story published from the series: While domestic companies flounder, foreign behemoths have built a dominant position in the Canadian critical minerals sector – and few have benefited more than Australia........
    https://www.mining.com/web/how-cana...-to-finance-the-critical-minerals-revolution/

#199     Nov 12, 2023
    apo99 likes this.
  10. apo99

apo99

Yep i saw it, 100% accurate, also most of the trading is being done outside of the TSX V on "alternative exchanges" and dark volume

#200     Nov 12, 2023
    themickey likes this.