Transcendental Meditation

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by bearmountain, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Since u use the name Osho, did u try his Dynamic Meditation? It is a good method too.

Thanks for info. I have tried all meditations with Osho. I meditate regularly using Vipasana. I have a mind machine and go through one session everyday.

Recently I also go on Sundays to a Chanting group and they chant non stop from 11 to 5. This Bhakti or devotion has helped me much as I feel more joy and graditude.

#31     Dec 1, 2010
  2. Well, to share a personal story. I was first exposed to meditation in the mid 1980's. Zen and generic buddhist forms. Interestingly, I ran into great difficulty. I would reap tremendous benefit the first day, however if I continued, the following day I would have somewhat of a intense alergic reaction to meditation. My heart rate, anxiety, anger would dramatically go up. So much so that I would have to stop by the third day.

To fix the issue I sought out teachers of meditation, attended weekend monastic retreats. Essentially was told to keep it up and work through the issue. Unfortunatly to no avail, by the forth day i would become non functional. So I would meditate for a day or two, then go dormant for six months, at times many years.

There is however, a happy end to the story. Some 25 years later in 2010, this past summer, my issue was finally resolved with the help of a therapist. I won't share the exact details, but to use a NLP term, a part of me was sabotaging my meditation efforts, only when I made 'peace' with this part my problem was aleviated. So now I am able to meditate without any side effects and reap tremendous benefits. Just searching for a methodology that I can call home....Thanks.

PS. Similarly, I believe there are parts of us that sabatoge our trading success. However in my case that trading part fix is much more elusive. maybe another 25 years...damn.

#32     Dec 1, 2010
  3. mi933c

mi933c

great thread.
    trading can be emotional and learning to control you emotions thru meditation is great.

#33     Dec 1, 2010
  4. I agree with your comment about The Relaxation Response. Benson cuts away the fat:

The Relaxation Response

− Sit in a comfortable position.
    − Close your eyes and relax your muscles.
    − Focus on your breathing. Breathe slowly and naturally.
    − Select a word or phrase, such as the number “one” (or, even better, a word or phrase that is rooted in your belief system). Then, repeat it silently or see it in your mind’s eye each time you exhale.
    − When outside thoughts intrude during the meditation, disregard them by saying, “Oh, well,” and return to the word or phrase you’ve selected. It’s essential always to maintain a passive, relaxed style in dealing with any interruptions.

[​IMG]

#34     Dec 1, 2010
  5. the1

the1

#35     Dec 1, 2010
  6. I've been meditating daily for over a year and it has definitely been very helpful to work and life. Meditation is free to learn and easy to begin but hard to master. No guru is required... breath is your guru!

It takes dedication and you won't always have time but you should try to practice every day. Usually my morning meditations are best before the market opens. Really centers your attention and calms your mind.

Here is the video that I got started with. It is part of a larger movie called Spiritual Reality.

(And no, that is not Deepak Chopra narrating ! )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0rSmxsVHPE

#36     Dec 1, 2010
  7. Frequent doses of meditation directed at trading keeps one in neutral or as I call it ZERO , leading to better reading of the markets and better results.

#37     Dec 1, 2010
  8. Great posts in this thread. Thank you all for your contribution. There are many paths up the mountain; hindu, buddhist, sufi, zen paths may seem contradictory but they tap in the same source.

nigam arora: If you think appropiate, could you please elaborate on your meditation technique directed at trading? Thanks.

#38     Dec 3, 2010
  9. Three outstanding books that I highly recommend:

1. Autobiography of a Yogi
    - get the blue covered one from Crystal Clarity; it's the actual words from the Yogi and not edited like the red one.

2. The Holographic Universe
    by Michael Talbot

3. Siddharta
    -classic novella by Herman Hesse

Reading these three books is great as a precursor to meditation. You will get some tremendous insights into the spirtual world and it will put your meditation into proper context.

#39     Dec 6, 2010
  10. There is a free Kindle 1946 blue edition from Amazon.com... and you don't need a Kindle to read it... there is free software for PC/Mac/iPod/iPad/Android that you can use. I read it once a couple of years ago and am re-reading it again now on Kindle. Great book.

http://www.amazon.com/Autobiography-Yogi-Reprint-Original-ebook/dp/B003QTDDXS

#40     Dec 6, 2010