Transcendental Meditation

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by bearmountain, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Myshkin

Myshkin

Went to Rishikesh, Inida almost 20 years ago with the idea to hang with the Maharishi Mahesh dude and learn TM right at the source, chillin' on the Ganges, sippin' dysentery laced chai and dematerializing into a rainbow. Good for just 50% as on the first day, kind of got the idea that he was not all too well liked there as they say selling knowledge/wisdom is akin to pimping out your mother. I ended up hangin' at a donation only vedanta ashram, which was insightful with their heavy paradoxical contemplations though little to no concentration inducing meditation per se.

A good choice IF you have 12 days to kill are the courses given at one of these centers www.dhamma.org, which is all donation. They will not even accept donations from you if you do not complete the course. I tell you, it is very possible as the first course was, hands down, the most difficult thing I have ever done in my life. Prior to and since, I have sat a couple of other types of meditation courses based on different interpretations of the maha satipatthana sutta, however, to me, this is the most organized and accessible. Certainly though, each, including Zen, give their own insights. That said, I believe TM is more a concentration type of meditation thus not giving rise to wisdom/insight in an experientially direct form and not quite as good at kickin' in the craved for equanimity (now, aren't we supposed to be free from craving? whatevuh...pm me if you like :)

Also, regarding self-hypnosis, started with that before any of this cosmic crap beack in the '80s with a book by author leslie lecron. Good stuff.

#21     Nov 29, 2010
  2. zdreg

zdreg

"Went to Rishikesh, Inida almost 20 years ago with the idea to hang with the Maharishi Mahesh dude and learn TM right at the source, chillin' on the Ganges, sippin' dysentery laced chai and dematerializing into a rainbow."

yes but did you learn the secret of the indian rope trick? there is probably a connection between the indian rope trick and dematerialzing into a rainbow.

#22     Nov 29, 2010
  3. Myshkin

Myshkin

the dematerialization was one of the four, the other was the chillin' on the ganges from which i got my dysentery and not from the chai were i had anticipated it would be lurking. doctor brother has since informed me that the wee critters don't do so well with boiling water. misgive and spurn, or is it live and learn? both would work, i reckon.
    however, i have since regained my corporeal form so sahib, if you say there may be a correlation between learning the secret of indian rope trick and getting my wavicles aligned with them there electromagnetic radiating waves, then i am up to give it a try as sounds far less arduous than the more common technique of poaching then poaching and eating yeti eggs. yes, they are marsupials that live in high himalayan caves and are none too kind to those wanting to gnaw on their youngins. you can understand the challenges, i am sure. and thanks for the tip:D

#23     Nov 29, 2010
  4. lindq

lindq

I taught TM for a few years, way back when.

It is a very simple technique that involves silently repeating a mantra (word), and moving your attention back to the mantra when you perceive that you are having other thoughts. It is not a 'forced' concentration, but is meant to be done simply and easily. The objective is to let your mind move to a state of relaxation, twice a day for 20 minutes.

The technique works. The problem is the organization that grew up around it. It got sidetracked into some pretty strange stuff, and the profit motive infected it.

There is an excellent book called "The Relaxation Response" that will teach you generally the same technique. Written by an MD.
    http://www.amazon.com/Relaxation-Response-Herbert-Benson/dp/0380006766

The key is to put the practice to use on a regular basis, and make it a part of your daily routine.

#24     Nov 29, 2010
  5. Another ploy for ppl like Deepak Chopra to make money off ppl's problems.

Have you ever heard that mother fucker talk. I wish it was legal to kill ppl :]

#25     Nov 29, 2010
  6. Right that's why 121 ppl gave it an average of 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Another scumbag who couldn't get a proper job -- who became a charlatan.

#26     Nov 29, 2010
  7. I saw a homeless guy selling some stuff he said would cure teeth problems. He called it transient dental medication.

#27     Nov 29, 2010
  8. I had done both Vipassana (10 days with Goenka himself) and TM many years ago. TM was a rip-off, you can learn similar mantra meditation at Vedanta centers for free. Vipassana was too hard for me, 10 days of silent retreat and getting up at 4am wasn't my thing.

Now I practise the Kunlun Qigong and Red Phoenix meditation, suits me better.

#28     Dec 1, 2010
  9. Now I practise the Kunlun Qigong and Red Phoenix meditation, suits me better.

Please post more details about this and give links if possible. I would like to learn more. never heard of them before. Thanks

#29     Dec 1, 2010
  10. You can learn it from a book: Pillars of Bliss by Max Christensen ( Lama Dorje).

You can also find out more form this site: http://www.primordialalchemy.com/

There also other free qigong meditation exercise free on Youtube. It is not hard to find something that works for you w/o spending a lot of money.

Since u use the name Osho, did u try his Dynamic Meditation? It is a good method too. Since doing some workshops with Max Christensen in 2008, I prefer Kunlun Qigong and Red Phoenix meditation as my primary practice.

#30     Dec 1, 2010