transaction tax mathematics and end of day trading

Discussion in 'Trading' started by zdreg, Sep 3, 2009.

will i write congress of the US

1. yes i will

15 vote(s)
    51.7%
  2. no iwon't

7 vote(s)
    24.1%
  3. i am the greatest trader. 100% is nothing to me.

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  4. i trade commodities and i think they won't tax me.

3 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. Unless this is a different bill proposal, it covers futures and options also. The one I read earlier this year was from Congressmoron Defazio from Oregon. I called and blasted his office even though I'm not in his state. I also called my Congressman.

#11     Sep 3, 2009

2. Defazio's bill states .25%, the newest number is .01%, and even Dean Baker mentioned yesterday that futures would have to be more around .001% (one hundredth of a percent -- still a lot for futures) -- just an FYI

#12     Sep 3, 2009
  3. zdreg

zdreg

exactly. you won't be exempt but goldman will.

#13     Sep 3, 2009
  4. On losing trades as well.
    Many shops and traders will just stop trading US mkts. Of course then the AFL-CIO will outlaw internet trading.

#14     Sep 3, 2009
  5. the1

the1

The original bill included all derivatives in the tax and you have to pay the tax on the FULL contract amount. You buy one contract at 1000 and they will tax you on $50,000.

#15     Sep 3, 2009
  6. the1

the1

Definitely! They have their lawyers working on it already. If you follow the history of other countries who did this there was always some method of avoiding the tax, such as trading "off-exchange." Joe Trader will not have access to that kind of execution. GS will not pay a dime toward this tax. It will be Joe Sucker who foots the bill but it will be sold as a "tax on GS."

#16     Sep 3, 2009
  7. gkishot

gkishot

Spread traders will be put out of business right away.

#17     Sep 3, 2009
  8. Time to move to Cuba... Castro doesn't seem all that bad of a leader right now.

Simple and fairest solution would be to add sales tax or federal excise tax to just the exchange fees. ie. 10%.

Futures would go from $4.50 RT to $4.99
    equities from $1 to $1.10
    Options from $1.50 to $1.65

Simple to collect, regulate and enforce.

#18     Sep 3, 2009
  9. clacy

clacy

The "fairest solution" would be for the government to stay the hell out of our lives/pockets and quit redistributing our wealth.

He is an idea for the Federal government (Dems and Republicans alike)............ quit spending so much money.

Promote a change in culture among the poor, rather than trying to destroy those that have succeeded in life and redistributing money to deadbeats.

#19     Sep 3, 2009
  10. Another person to contact:
    Adair Turner of the Financial Services Authority in the UK. He is proposing a Global Tobin Tax. I just gave him a call. Let his office know you are calling from the US.

The number if calling from the US is... 011 44 20 7066 1000

#20     Sep 3, 2009