Transaction Tax Bill has now been introduced

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Bullet, Feb 18, 2009.

1. #71     Feb 18, 2009
  2. London already has a transaction tax, does it not?

#72     Feb 18, 2009
  3. Correct.

And Pete Stark (Cali, Dem) is right behind him. I've spoken to reps at both Stark and DeFazio's offices and it is a total waste of time.

If you want to write someone, try the Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi, who I believe is not in favor of this tax as she is on record as saying that TARP funds are an "investment" and that we should wait 5 years to see if there is a return on the taxpayers "investment" before invoking any kind of a transaction tax on Wall Street.

#73     Feb 18, 2009
  4. #74     Feb 18, 2009
  5. gkishot

gkishot

Mutual funds do trade stocks. They will pass those taxes to the shareholders. These people might not realize this but mutual funds shareholders are not immune from this tax.

#75     Feb 18, 2009
  6. So what about Nancy Pelosi? She is not a sponsor and from other postings is not in favor of the bill. Well, check this out----

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/congress/fin_dis/2007/p000197.pdf

She and her husband are loaded and it includes a lot of stock and a lot of stock transactions. Big dollar value transactions! She is one of the people that we need to contact and she is the one with the power. I would like to think that she is not going to let this bill get passed, but who knows. Can't take anything for granted.

#76     Feb 18, 2009
  7. I just called & e-mailed my congressman & US senator.

Thanks to everyone who posted.

If you haven't called your congressman /senator, please do it now!

The financial industry has a strong lobby, but we need to stand our ground in the beginning.

This bill is total nonsense.
    :mad:

#77     Feb 18, 2009
  8. Sideways

Sideways

Can't the same logic be used for the auto industry?

Should we suggest a tax on every auto purchase until the money they got is paid back?

...ridiculous

#78     Feb 18, 2009
  9. Glad to see an occasional bright light of thinking.

They are not going to do it, they already did it. At the very least, they had their plans ready and will start adjusting the bill just like the naked shorting regulation was adjusted.

#79     Feb 18, 2009
  10. When will this Bill be voted on?

#80     Feb 18, 2009