Trailing stops now at IB

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by ddefina, Jul 22, 2002.

1. what are some useful Strategies
    for the Trailing Stop?

I tried a Sell on NYSE, and got a terrible price.
    Evidently it turns into a Market Order....ugh

Mark
    :)

#31     Aug 15, 2002
  2. I guess that's why it's called a trailing STOP. A stop IS a market order, once it is triggered.

#32     Aug 15, 2002
  3. davealex

davealex

Not all stops are Market Orders.

Trailing stops are. Does IB not offer Stop Limit orders?

-- Dave

#33     Aug 15, 2002
  4. Agreed, you can make a stop order a "stop limit" order. I was referring to a basic stop order in my last post. Don't know if IB will let you use a stop limit. I've never used one. IMO, when you're wrong, you're wrong. Get out now, and don't try to get cute to save a few pennies.

#34     Aug 15, 2002
  5. OK, on further review, as they say around the NFL, I certainly can see the benefit of a stop limit order to ENTER a trade. I was narrow-mindedly focusing on using a stop as an exit mechanism is that last post.

#35     Aug 15, 2002
  6. well, let's take CRY for example.
    I figure it's going to 5, maybe 6 bucks, here in the near future.

So, I thought I might use a Trailing Stop [not a regular Stop]
    to kind of keep an eye on it; maybe a .25-.50 trail...

Otherwise, how do I know when it's hit it's peak,
    unless I'm watching every second of the day?

I just seems like the Automatic "trail" might come in handy
    [in some situations]

Mark
    :)

#36     Aug 16, 2002
  7. KB96

KB96

Yes IB does offer both stop and stop limit orders. I have used both. But you have to be careful, because with a stop limit order the market can jump right over you stop and you are still riding a losing position down and it won't get you out of the market.

#37     Aug 16, 2002
  8. KB96,

You're right on the money. The whole point of a trailing stop is to allow a trader to liquidate a position when he/she isn't watching the bottom fall out of a stock. A stop limit doesn't guarantee this.

#38     Aug 16, 2002
  9. BillyG67

BillyG67

Stop Limits can very easily be missed Its happened to me a few times especially on very Low volume stocks
    If you have a stop loss at Say 19.97 and Limit was 19.95 the stock hits that price but only one person was willing to buy at that price and the next bid was at 19.94 you wouldn't get filled.

Lower volume stocks are not good to use stops on at all
    but if any use a stop limit

1) The reason i stated above
    2) I had one trade with a stop market it hit my stop and the next bid was way down Yep i was filled at a ridiculous price (one of those wacky spikes down on the charts you see)

I guess someone was asking about a trailing stop without market order execution. But limit instead. Maybe in time
    (Trailing stop Limit? In the future)

#39     Aug 18, 2002