Tradovate with Jigsaw Trading vs. X_Trader - reliability

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by lukas, Aug 30, 2017.

1. lukas

lukas Guest

Peter,
    I did not mean to offend anyone so apologies if it sounded like that. However, you have to admit Jigsaw is oriented towards retail clients and it just does not flow or perform as well as X_Trader.
    I would be happy to use it with Tradovate, but because of a $0.15 per contract fee it does not make sense to me from a cost perspective.

Would you mind sharing the names of the companies that will use Daytradr? Is it Axia Futures?

#11     Aug 31, 2017
  2. No offense taken at all. I actually like spaghetti. Nothing wrong with voicing your opinion,

Part of the reason we switch to stand alone is that a couple of years ago, professionals were telling us they liked it (especially the prices) but couldn't use the platforms they sat on. Having true multi-threading helps and that was only possible with a stand alone product.

I'm can't name names at this point but will once we've figured out the ground rules for using firms like this as references. Some have existing relationships with other providers and noses can get put out of joint....

It's just a platform at the end of the day and hurdles such as cost barriers are things we have to work through and around.

#12     Aug 31, 2017
    Sands and CALLumbus like this.
  3. lukas

lukas Guest

Do you happen to know why there is no monthly cap on this $0.15 routing fee charged by Tradovate? Usually CQG always has a cap on that

#13     Aug 31, 2017
  4. MrMuppet

MrMuppet

Peter,

first of all, good you join the discussion, constructive criticism improves the product, right ;)

To be fair, I don't think that guys tend to stay with the product that they are used to, especially guys who are making a living in this industry. When there is a better product, even the most loyal customers are gone within a blick of an eye.

Jigsaw has some amazing features and nice ways to display data and I find that TT is really missing out when it comes to this.

I feel like they lean more towards professionals and since most manual point and click prop shops are out of the business, automation and democratising algo trading is where I feel they put the most effort in.

So the TT GUI is the same old story without major inovations for many many years and that's were Jigsaw comes in.

That's fine BUT:

- I won't use anything that has a third party datafeed

- I won't use anything that is managed and maintaned by brokers, e.g. a whitelabel that's running on an FCM server, where I don't know if hardware is up to date or if it's a ten year old blade and the technician is actually a remote maintainance guy from India.

- I don't want to use any software where I don't have insights into infrastructure and I cannot find out where my orders go

And after all I think it's nice to know that co-lo services are available although I don't need it, just because I know that there is a guy who knows how to deal with networks and hardware. Also, flexible cost structure is a plus...especially the cap.

I wrote a lot of stuff that's probably offensive to many, but I hope you can take away some things. And BTW that's only me and I'm not trying to generalise.

One last thing though. Over the years there were a truckton of software packages that tried to score with GUI, unique ways to display data or "give an edge". Those who put emphasis on interface went down, those who worked on speed, connectivity, stability and network are still there.
    Would I want to pay for a software that enables me to trade from a chart or rather for LME connectivity or stable access to Brokertec? Interface IS important and TT is lagging when it comes to that, but it's such a small part of the package and other stuff is just so much more important.

So again, I hope you don't get mad when you read this. I also wish there was more competition amongst proper frontend providers, but most either have ridiculous infrastructure (impossible to use) or are too expensive or not available. So what should I do? Switching for the sake of switching?

#14     Aug 31, 2017
    JigsawTrading likes this.
  5. CALLumbus

CALLumbus

Lukas, there will be no routing fee if you use the fully integrated Jigsaw within Tradovate. However, if you use their standalone platform with your Tradovate account, then you will have to pay the CQG routing fee.

#15     Aug 31, 2017
  6. lukas

lukas Guest

Yes, I know. However, like Peter said, Jigsaw as an add-on to other platforms is not as good as a standalone. I have tested it and it just does not feel, or flow, right compared to X_Trader or TT DEsktop

#16     Aug 31, 2017
  7. CALLumbus

CALLumbus

Ok, I understand what you mean. May I ask, how did you test it, as far as I know there is no demo or test version of Jigsaw. So you just gave it a shot and bought it ?

#17     Aug 31, 2017
  8. Adam777

Adam777

... So trading Eurex futures (Europe) from Sydney (Australia) through Jigsaw add-on at Amp Futures (USA) sounds way too slow as those milliseconds are now adding up, compared to something with "direct market access" such as QTrader (with AMP Futures)? So it sounds like by the time I click on the DOM, the market would have moved using Jigsaw. I'm sim trading with TT, but just looking to the future.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    #18     Sep 1, 2017
  9. lukas

lukas Guest

Yeah, I have been a client of Jigsaw since 2013. All I can say, it did help a lot with learning to trade off the DOM, or order flow, but now I can just "see" and "feel" the same on MD Trader in X_Trader or TT. Add to that other advantages of these platforms and that is why I prefer them rather than Jigsaw. But it is true it is just a platform - it will not make money in hands of a bad trader

#19     Sep 1, 2017
  10. CALLumbus

CALLumbus

Ok, I understand and agree with what you say. I am mostly interested in it because of the estimated position in queue that you can monitor with it. The only other platform that offers this is X_Trader / TT. Rithmic RlTrader just like X_Trader / TT gives you even the true position in queue, but only for CME markets (market by order). Since my focus is still on Eurex, I have to go with the EPIQ for now, and therefore have only TT and Jigsaw as my options.

#20     Sep 1, 2017