TradingView review: "Screw 'em!"

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by tommcginnis, Nov 10, 2018.

1. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

I continue to 'notice' TradingView around in various places -- it seems to be a go-to graphics choice right there with StockCharts.com. And setting up a chart truly was easy. But when it came to backtesting, or to working Pine to modify existing code, ......:banghead::banghead::banghead:

It took me two days to set up a rudimentary indicator+backtest template in a spreadsheet -- something I'd spent 10x that in TradingView, without satisfaction. And now, having built a backtest/trade_eval. engine, I've already broadened it to another indicator. (I only use two, for EOD entry/exit data.) So now it's just polishing to do. ("Sweet!")

But TradingView -- and these other products -- Stockcharts, Trend Spyder, Prodigio, even Metacharts etc. -- they're products I've not had to learn, as an options trader. Now that I am pushing into more standard long+short market holdings, scenario testing is a *grand* idea, and my homework is obvious. :)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    #31     Dec 2, 2018
    heispark likes this.
  2. So is it good?

#32     Mar 13, 2020
    tommcginnis likes this.
  3. SteveH

SteveH

Real-time trading software doesn't belong in a browser.

#33     Mar 13, 2020
  4. IAlwaysWin

IAlwaysWin

Don't hate the platform, hate your strategy. Nothing unique about it brother.

#34     Mar 13, 2020
  5. ionone

ionone

well i could very well be the future, like Stadia
    -no updates,
    -instantaneous 10 years tick backtests
    -access to your charts anywhere
    etc

But as it is right now it's not good

#35     Mar 20, 2020
  6. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

Since this thread has 're-freshed' after skipping 2019 entirely, I'll state flatly that I remain happily ensconced in a spreadsheet environment, with data/import ease, plainly algebraic coding of any algos/tweaks I care to think up, and fair-to-poor graphics. I continue to think great things are possible with TradingView, but have had ZERO ability to check on any progress with its issues since 2018. (And for that matter, that other half-dozen of trade-notion_to_graphed_performance platforms also look positively *fun* -- just no time/little need on my part*.)

Hope all is well with your (collective) trading. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

* trend-following; EOD data; EOD trades; modest profit, below-market risk

#36     Mar 20, 2020