tradingview.com is the most popular backtest platform now?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by GloriaBrown, Jan 6, 2020.

1. ZBZB

ZBZB

I guess the popularity of tradingview grew exponentially when they added crypto.

#11     Jan 7, 2020
  2. IAlwaysWin

IAlwaysWin

If your strategy sucks, it sucks. Not because Tradingview is wrong. Its pretty accurate for me and a whole lot of other traders that are profitable and backtest using that platform.

#12     Jan 7, 2020
    nooby_mcnoob likes this.
  3. Is there any "AI" script that I can try in Tradingview?

#13     Jan 7, 2020
  4. themickey

themickey

Can you supply an example of a good Tradingview backtest?

#14     Jan 7, 2020
    nooby_mcnoob likes this.
  5. Yup you got it

#15     Jan 7, 2020
  6. I originally replied because the OP had spoken about it as "the most popular backtest platform".

However... Tradingview charting is fantastic. No negative comments there _at all_. I use it every day.

The backtesting is horrible to the point of being wrong.

1. Can't restrict to date range without stupid isInDateRange guard on everything.
    2. It's actually wrong often enough for me to not know whether I am the problem or TV is the problem. I used to use it to verify backtests from other platforms + my own. No longer do so because TV had insanely good results that could not be replicated anywhere.
    3. Simple things are easy, complex things are hard: meaning they have spent energy on the easy things

That being said, I love the DSL for charting. Any time I need to test a custom indicator/function, I run it through TV first.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    #16     Jan 7, 2020
  7. May I ask how the heck are you so familiar with these vendor packages which I safely assume you don't use?

#17     Jan 7, 2020
    nooby_mcnoob likes this.
  8. Thanks! Stockcharts.com had been my go to for almost two decades until recently.

Edit: Oh dear... UI not very good. But I may start using it.

Double edit: No futures?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    #18     Jan 7, 2020
    VPhantom likes this.
  9. carrer

carrer

Trradingview is popular because many newbies are using it for backtesting.

I like their charts but not their Pine Script. It would be good if they offer C++, Python Java, or C#.

#19     Jan 7, 2020
  10. Supporting all these lanaguages would not be possible with pure browser only.

#20     Jan 7, 2020