TradingScience: FREE SEMINAR in NYC, May 13th 6:30pmET

Discussion in 'Events' started by TradingScience, Apr 30, 2004.

1. Will there be a panel discussion or a series of presentations?

2. RAMOUTAR

RAMOUTAR

TradingScience will give a presentation covering a number of topics: assessment of the current market (technically), introduction to the Personal Trading Plan and the primary topic will be the discussion of 2 trading strategies (using real trade examples) and a list of setups for the coming week.

Northwestern Trading will discuss the platforms and services they offer, and a Trade-Ideas representative will be on hand to discuss the real time streaming alerts.

There will also be a number of giveaways for all attendees:

- Telephone coaching session
    - 1 Month of TradeStream Pro or TradeStream Lite
    - Free 3- month subscription of Active Trader Mag for all attendees

Here are the two links:

http://www.tradingscience.com/nwt_ts_sem.html

the next link provides more information and contains the radio ad that is currently running on 1130 WBBR (Bloomberg Radio)

http://www.tradingscience.com/b2b/nwt/nwtmayfree.html

You can register here:

http://www.tradingscience.com/b2b/nwt/register_nwt.html

Look forward to seeing you there!

3. sounds like a great seminar / learning experience. unfortunately, i will be in NYC on the 14th and unable to attend. will try to make the next one.

peace,

surfer :)

4. RAMOUTAR

RAMOUTAR

Look forward to seeing you in NYC the next time. :)

5. kc11415

kc11415

Over some number of months I've seen a variety of criticism of Jai, some less than constructive, and some of which is just healthy skepticism.

I wasn't certain the main themes of his presentation would be directly applicable for my interests, but I wondered if any reading-between-the-lines or side comments might be of interest for me.

For what its about, what he was offering via this seminar seems fairly upfront and legit. My impression is that the paid seminars he mentioned are designed to get newbies grounded in the basics, or at least wake them up to the range of principles and skills in which they should become grounded for TA-based trading dependant upon the skills and disciplines of the trader.

Is this a grounding attendees could establish through:
    1) reading the classic books;
    2) surfing relevant chat rooms;
    3) other self-study;
    4) and careful record-keeping and review of trading experiences?
    Probably for many of them. However, if they were likely to achieve results through such venues, then they'd have already learned that they did not need paid seminars. While I have availed myself of such self-directed study venues, it has taken me quite a while to progress up the learning curve. (Though I'm still inclined to continue this route for my circumstances.)

Of the 2-3 dozen people who attended, it seemed like a number of them were sufficiently new to the field such that they might not yet be ready for the self-study route to trading. Their exposure to the markets thus far seems as investors not as traders. While appearances can be deceiving, it seems like a few of them should probably remain as investors and stay away from trading.

( i.e. Why do so many free trading presentations/seminars have some 60-70 year old guy who answers his cell phone while still sitting in the seminar? If they can't figure out how to activate silent mode on their phone, then will they ever understand a Level 2 display? Indeed, that should be a pre-requisite for admission to free seminars; prove that you know how to activate silent mode on your phone.)

For the wanna-bes, perhaps Jai's coverage of the demands and responsibilities of trading might serve to scare them away. If not, then they're fair game for the rest of us.

Just my two cents.

6. ...I asked my best friend to go. My posts make me out to be some very tough guy with a point to prove as some of you have said in your fan mail (PM).

We will call my friend, Jim. He's and active futures trader and has been making a living doing it for many years, and did well as a local. He looks like an old investor, "his looks are deceiving". He shows up to a lot of free seminars with his costume...an AM radio in his pocket with standard issue earphone and a ratty looking newspaper. Most people won't speak to him about the market, they guess he's living on social security checks.

I listened to the digital recorder that Jim brought with him, and I agree that Jai was “upfront and legit”. He’s certainly an excellent speaker, and based on what I heard and what Jim said, Jai is emphatic about the markets and appears to be a trader. During the short break Jim was listening to him talk about his trades in KLA Tencor and Cephelon in the past week.

My opinion is this…I have spoken with Jai a few times on the phone, listened in on one the conversation he had and listened to his seminar. Jim is convinced that everyone is a scam artist, and he feels that Ramoutar is definitely not one of them. But in the end, who really knows. I’ve confronted him several times with questions and he answered them (through the posts). In another thread someone asked me if “ I was done”, or “mission accomplished”. The good comments made by members here could very well be “aliases” but I asked them if they would give me their name and telephone number if I had more questions and they said no problem, I don’t think their aliases.

My two cents: if you can learn from books, research, videos and cd roms then go for it. Will you learn how to trade? Maybe. It works for some people and doesn’t for others. It’s what you feel comfortable with.

Just make sure that who and whatever you choose is not a scam. A good and long reputation goes a long way in my book. There are many great mentors out there and twice as many bad ones.

7. RAMOUTAR

RAMOUTAR

KC, thanks for taking the time to share your opinions and observations of the free seminar. The agenda and main themes of the free seminar are intended to be broad based, it is simply impossible to assemble an agenda that will apply to all. The seminars that TradingScience is offering on June 5th and June 6th apply to the cross section of the trading community, with very strong focuses on momentum and technical analysis stratgies for day and swing strategies. Most people who fail at trading for a living have little to no money & risk management principles or a trading plan in place…newbie or not. IMHO, the term “newbie” has a very subjective definition. A person who has been trading for years may still not have the money management, strategies and disciplines in place of someone who has been trading for less than one year. The amount of grey hair on one’s head, the amount of capital in their account, how many trades they have made or long they have been in the market is NO indicator of their trading prowess. These seminars also provide a solid foundation in money& risk management and a personal trading plan, components that every trader needs to have in place.
    Many simple concepts can be gleaned from independent study. However, the stability of the grounding that one gets from such studies is only as good as the material itself and their application of it. The “Home Depot” or do it yourself method has proven to be a good route for many people (the minority of them). I have found that the best students to work with are the ones that tried to do it on their own and failed.
    After mentoring thousands of people, of which one-hundred or so were prop and hedge fund traders, the success of those professional traders is much higher. Why? The prop and hedge fund traders that I have personally taught were raised in restrictive and controlled environment. The environment availed a few proven strategies and the traders’ actions were controlled by tight risk management parameters and systems. The key in the success of prop and hedge fund traders that I have mentored is simple, if they didn’t listen they were let go. The success rate of those existing traders is higher than most.
    As lazybones has pointed out, looks are very deceiving. We’ve all seen that the clothes that someone wears and the car they drive does not necessarily dictate their success or trading prowess. Before he died, Sam Walton wore a Wal-Mart baseball cap with an “off the rack suit” and drove a 1956 Chevy pickup. If we didn’t know Sam from business and saw him on the street we would think he was proud employee of the Wal-Mart “senior citizen” work program. That evening I also met an owner of a risk-arb firm that has been doing business for 25 years, and worked for Henry Kravis, a far way off from a Sunday investor. This guy was wearing a pair of “old school” Converse All-Stars. I guess they have better mileage than a pair of Bostonians or Bruno Maglis, maybe a lot better than the 1956 Chevy. The “Oracle of Omaha” is also known to have a “less than trader” appearance.

#10     May 19, 2004