tradingcomputers.com. have i just been played for the fool?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tortoise, Feb 1, 2010.

1. I have only heard good things about them. Your software and hardware config plays a big part of how well the system runs

#31     Feb 2, 2010
  2. AK100

AK100

I learned a long time ago that off the shelf computers like a cheap Dell are by far the best computers for 90% of all users.

#32     Feb 2, 2010
  3. Kendall

Kendall

Towers are cheap these days, especially from Dell. Additionally, they have solid indian customer service! These super custom machines seem great and the ultimate deal, but buyer beware. They are churning out not even 1% of what DELL is churning out production wise.

If you could do it over I would say buy the top of the line DELL tower deal and just scale back the components. Get basic video card, however make sure you have newest processor(I7), get motherboard with lots of RAM storage capacity.

Then just take a web gander over to Newegg and upgrade cheap, addtnl. video cards, ect. Add the RAM if you need it.

It's really not that hard. Oh and btw, specifically to your problem find out what size power supply they put in, possibly that is one easily fixable issue. Try to get new motherboard out of them if you have to. It's not that hard to swap one out.

#33     Feb 2, 2010
  4. tortoise

tortoise

Yes, it appears to be working well now.

#34     Feb 2, 2010
  5. If you get Dell then get the pro support. It is excellent.

#35     Feb 2, 2010
  6. fc1486

fc1486

I bought the Falcon F-15 laptop from Trading Computers dot com and it has crashed dozens and dozens of times since I bought it. I worked at a computer for 20 years every day before I retired. This Falcon was the least reliable of all the computers I've ever used. I found another brand that has better components for $1,000 less. The Falcon techs were very helpful, though, and are not offshore. But none of the 6-8 that tried to help ever figured out what was wrong. I have spent about a week of my time on the phone with techs remoting and trying to fix this lemon. It still crashes about 3-5 times each week.

#36     Jan 24, 2012
  7. Can you return it? You'll get more bang-for-the-buck on other machines.

#37     Jan 25, 2012
  8. Rob227

Rob227

I've always found building a system to be the way to go just because the prepackaged models have little to no upgrade capability. If you are lucky you might be able to put an additional ram card in but that's about it. I suppose it depends what you're using it for but even basic features like loading web pages are clearly faster on a better system.

It also seems for me anyway that I get about twice the time out of a personally built custom machine than a prepackaged one because the time is considerably longer before the system becomes redundantly slow due to the higher end parts and upgradability.

It's really not that hard to put a system together if you're willing to spend a few hours assembling and reading the instructions. After the initial build you'll realize it's pretty straightforward to do yourself.

I stick with well known manufacturers for parts and I haven't had any problems. I like Asus for the motherboard, Nvidia for the video card, Intel for the processor, the rest just a reasonably well known brand.

All you need to build your own system:

Case with lots of cooling fans
    Motherboard (lots of upgradability and open slots, space for at least two video cards)
    Processor
    Ram (pick MB that has room for lots)
    Video card
    Power supply
    Hard drive
    Dvd drive

Buy your monitor at Best Buy or something like that.

#38     Jan 25, 2012
  9. GTS

GTS

I buy complete systems (Dell) and build my own but I don't see the argument that custom built will last longer or are more upgradable.

The parts that are typically upgraded in a system, RAM, drives and maybe the video card can all be upgraded as easily in a Dell as in your own custom machine. If you need a lot of extra drive bays you can make the case that a custom machine is more expandable (if you go with a large tower case)

Upgrading the processor is seldom worth it, Intel changes socket designs so frequently that its better to just go with the latest MB/chipset/socket rather than throwing more money on an obsolete system processor upgrade that is going to give a marginal real-world performance improvement.

#39     Jan 25, 2012
  10. tortoise

tortoise

Well, here's a trip down memory lane. I feel your pain. What a waste-of-time. Just get your money back and move on. FWIW, I have twice bought computers from little "bespoke" shops -- one was tradingcomputers.com, the other was saks computer (or something like that--no longer in business, i think). In both case, the experience was catastrophic. I now only by off-the-shelf stuff. Never, ever, EVER again will I go with the "specialty" computer shops. In my experience, their specialty is crashes and failures.

#40     Jan 25, 2012