Trading without realtime charts

Discussion in 'Trading' started by just21, Sep 6, 2003.

1. just21

just21

I have quotes from IB to put trades on but have given up qcharts. Can you trade successfully with only TC2000 daily charts?

2. Of course you can... on the weekly timeframe, for example... but the question is, why wouldn't you want to have real-time charts?

3. Yes - you can also trade successfully with a newspaper and a telephone, but why would you want to :)

4. ttrader

ttrader

Yes - you can also trade successfully WITHOUT a newspaper and a telephone, but why would you want to :)

ttrader

5. ptt

ptt

quotetracker.com is a free charting program that works with IB quotes.

6. its a funny thing...some traders would be better without charts...if you never made money with them..........give it a try!

7. Pabst

Pabst

I found this rare quote.

"I owe my fortune to the backtested methodology I learned by
    using stochastics on a 3 minute bar chart. BTW during the 1907 panic, I found that my Q Charts often lagged the tape during fast markets."

Jesse Livermore

8. Just goes to show that poor data reliability didn't keep QCharts, or Jesse Livermore down.

:)

9. mark1

mark1 Guest

The first year I started using a mechanical system I found out it was much better without charts , because I was not disciplined enough to take all the signals the sys gave me (yes I thought I was smarter than statistic).
    Sometimes on a chart the signal seemed so wrong I refused to take it, obviously often those were very good trades.

Today fortunately I understand you have to take all the signals, no matter what!
    So if you have a good sys, I think you can use it without charts, quotes are all you need.

On the other hand If your sys is based on chart patterns , you can't trade without charts, but you don't need me to know it.

10. :D :D :D

fantastic, pabst !

surfer:D

#10     Sep 6, 2003