Trading Without Ego

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by EON Kid, Aug 8, 2010.

1. great thread

#21     May 26, 2012
  2. SamGold

SamGold

If the only way to get smarter is to play a smarter opponent... and what you want is to win... then it is best to play dumber opponents...
    no shortage of that...:confused:

#22     May 26, 2012
  3. mm19

mm19

not an easy one to execute. I must be gunning at least for 4% of NAV to play by the rules.

#23     May 26, 2012
  4. Handle123

Handle123

I have one of the biggest Egos around, but when I go to my office, it is all business past the door, only talk and trade markets. And when I leave, it is tough not to be super happy that I stole a ton of bucks from the inexperienced or large traders. All my friends already know I am an asshole, but I don't flaunt what I have made, but cause I am not in the same financial sinking boat they are in, am considered different.

#24     May 28, 2012
  5. all bull crap.

the rubber boots are on.

s

#25     May 28, 2012
  6. Mark Douglas is good for psychology though a book that sorted me out is not trading related but life related (please don't yawn!)

Eckhart Tolle's "Power of Now" relates not only to your mind conditioning but has a massive effect on your overall quality of life, including trading.

Well it did for me at least. I imagine it would help others out there also in the markets...

#26     May 30, 2012
  7. Did I say it was a bad thing or wrong? To each his own. My opinion of if its bad or good or right or wrong does not really matter now does it, unless it was about me? I simply observed that you were pontificating with your EGO...was I wrong?

Now if you ask me what I think about big or small EGO for me...well that is another story. I would bore you.

Some conditions can cause some to overlook the obvious or live in some sort of illusion or even denial.

ES

#27     May 30, 2012
  8. seadog

seadog

When I was a broker a long time ago, they gave me an old seasoned trader as a adesk mate. The first hour he told me "leave the ego at the door"
    Twenty five years later, the best advice. Didn't realize how complex it was.

#28     May 30, 2012
  9. Redneck

Redneck

Hmmmm…. Trading without ego… interesting concept…..

May as well trade without your consciousness…, iow – without your thoughts…, your beliefs.., your emotions…, your very being

Never happen – never

Ego is as much a part of us, as everything else inside us….

So how the hell to separate from it….

Well…, fact is, we don’t

======================================

Every trade I take;

I have the power to let a loss grow too big
    I have the power to fight price tooth and nail – and trade the other way
    I have the power to get nervous, and exit winners too fast... or not wait on a proper set up… nor take a proper set up once it materializes
    I have the power to form an opinion about where price is going
    I have the power to overtrade – till I’m blue in the face
    I have the power to delude myself into thinking I'm the biggest, baddest trader around

I have absolute power – to blow my account up absolutely… and worse

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But – on the flipside…..

I also have the power to choose not to… and more importantly – to trade each trade – exactly like that….

Master your self first… then mastering the mkt…, your success…, your ego…, your whatever – ain’t nothing but a thang…

===============================

Inconsistent, or non existent profit… OR excessive losses – is simply a mirror of that which is within

Nothing more… nothing less

Here's to you liking what you see... or not

RN

#29     May 30, 2012
  10. Ego

the “I” or self of any person; a person as thinking, feeling, and willing, and distinguishing itself from the selves of others and from objects of its thought.

Psychoanalysis . the part of the psychic apparatus that experiences and reacts to the outside world and thus mediates between the primitive drives of the id and the demands of the social and physical environment.

egotism; conceit; self-importance: Her ego becomes more unbearable each day.

self-esteem or self-image; feelings: Your criticism wounded his ego.

( often initial capital letter ) Philosophy .

a.
    the enduring and conscious element that knows experience.

b.
    Scholasticism . the complete person comprising both body and soul.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ego

#30     May 30, 2012