Trading with Market Profile

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by They, Oct 10, 2002.

1. Tacsian

Tacsian

thanks for the answers

I'm working on entry and exit with the MP as a factor in the decision...can you post the POC for the ES and the UVA/LVA for the tick for wednesday's session?

Apparently the beta version dl of Qcharts is no longer available to get a volume profile working, so I'll explore other services that might produce a market profile for the day's action.

thanks again!

#51     Oct 22, 2002
  2. They, thanks for the great gifs. I have been using them since you posted them.

I have been drawing profiles by hand (dodgy) because I don't get them from my charting service. To see tick volume charts is amazing.

If you could keep posting them that would be fantastic. I really appreciate the charts.
    Damn, if you don't want to post them, would you consider starting a small email list with me and Tascian??

Cheers, great thread here.

#52     Oct 23, 2002
  3. opm8

opm8

I needs ma POC and $tick UVA/LVA fo morrow! I'm not sure I'm calculating them correctly.

They, how do you compute the UVA and LVA for the $tick, since the ranges are like +/- 1500? Not by hand, I'd think.

Come to think of it I'm not sure I calculate the ES values correctly, either. Maybe you can take a couple of lines to explain it for someone as dumb as me. :p

Super thread!

--opm8

#53     Oct 23, 2002
  4. Tacsian

Tacsian

Opm8, your brilliance is only dwarfed by your humility.
    The rubes of the world such as myself can only read in awe.
    Keep up the great contributions! :D

#54     Oct 23, 2002
  5. Has anyone tried the Market Profile add-on that E-Signal provides? I think it runs 7.50$ a month, but there little info on there website about it.

Thks,
    Matt

#55     Oct 23, 2002
  6. opm8

opm8

Tacsian,

Didn't mean to put you down with my post. I was actually going for a "me too". I quoted your mail just to avoid repeating what you asked for, and then I repeated it anyway. :)

--opm8

#56     Oct 23, 2002
  7. Tacsian

Tacsian

Op,

heh, sorry I misunderstood...maybe if one or all of us get the hang of charting these market profiles we can make sure we post them each evening for the following day.

Another thing I'm looking at is something from the ethnios site...they've gone pay now so I dont use much from them but I believe each day he posted a Natural Trading Range for the following day using MPs and POCs. That range for yesterday was 896 - 880...not bad considering the 896.50 high and 881 area low. Just more things to examine for trading tools!

#57     Oct 23, 2002
  8. opm8

opm8

No prob, dude. I'll have to check out that ethnios site. I've been reading through all those links that They provided but they sure don't make it easy to understand. All I really want to figure out is how to generate a market profile. I understand the 30-min aaaaa, bbbb, etc. vertical bands to generate a bell curve but how then do I figure out the UVA and LVA? What I see from site to site isn't consistent. I'd like to do this for $tick as well as the ES since trading off the $tick MP looks very interesting.

As for an MP generation tool: Since the Qcharts beta isn't officially available I called them up to see if I could get it somehow and I was able to do it. The Beta has some interesting new features, among them a Volume At Price study. It's kind of like a market profile but I'm not sure if the volume weightings are equivalent to the definition of an MP.

Anyway, if you want it go download http://www.quote.com/qcdownload/QCharts42-4.2.1.7-AnaheimShowTest.zip-holdWillBeReplacedSoon. (You'll have to right click this link and do "Save Target As...") This gives you QCharts.exe and ContinuumClient.dll. What you do is put these two in a separate directory and copy over all remaining files from the original C:\Program Files\Quote.com\QCharts dir. It worked just fine including bringing up my saved workspace, etc.

--opm8

#58     Oct 23, 2002
  9. They

They

as described above, for the $tick I only use the VAP and "Retracement" study, (not MP)

on $tick b/c there is no volume the "VAP study is counting ticks in that bar and then evenly disbursing them in its range (using 1 min bars will give you the most accurate read possible with the "VAP" study - (same thing for the ES although there it is actually counting volume) - the best programs will allow you to view the exact price in the 1 minute bar where the volume occurred

For MP numbers I manually enter each 30 minute bar's range in to a spread sheet - after doing it for a while you will see the VA without doing the calculation

Cisco has a free 2 week trial on all their info - that is the best way to get the POC, VA, VP etc.. - the owner Don Jones is a very helpful person and will always answer questions on how his software plots the day's POC, VA etc...

#59     Oct 23, 2002
  10. Tacsian

Tacsian

Op,

I right clicked on the link you posted and got a file dled that was about 1 meg. Trouble is...I cant run it, or extract anything from it. It has the name: QchartsAnaheimTest etc etc. What do I use to get the qcharts.exe and continuum files extracted from this??

It would be great to have access to the VAP study to work with the tick and even for a basic profile of the ES action for the day. I'm trying the manual charting as well to see what numbers I come up with.

They,

Any use of the NTR (natural trading range) in your work? I can't find any real references on how it is calculated or if it is proprietary to Ethnios.com. It appears to be a standard projection tool for tomorrow's expected range based on the last two POCs, but that is just from eyeballing the one example I can access at the moment. If you are familiar with that concept for MPs, any thoughts would be appreciated.

peace

#60     Oct 23, 2002