Trading with Emotional Intelligence

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Wallace, Jun 26, 2007.

1. hjay23

hjay23

I remember reading that quote over 3 yrs ago now. Wow!

what, pray tell, are the 2 other Q's Jack speaks of?:confused:

#11     Jul 10, 2007
  2. Most of the above links are dead.

Anyone knows where to download/access the above Denise Shull's webinar 'Simple Realities of Trading Psych'?

Cheers,
    Bernard

#12     Jan 15, 2010
  3. I think with trading, you don't just use your skills and experience but your emotional capacity as well. Your capacity to manage losses, gains, bad markets, risks etc. There is a tendency for people to fail in trading if they can't manage their emotions well.

#13     Jan 20, 2010
  4. Code7

Code7

The subconscious mind is very powerful. We can also think consciously but that's probably the same thing, just more intense. What becomes conscious often can't be chosen deliberately. We can try to remember the name of a person but sometimes fail even though we know it.

The subconscious mind seems to do batch processing in the background an can solve problems on its own. We often have a bias for many questions because the subconscious mind already dealt with it.

We still have the desire to find logical reasons for everything we do. Sometimes our conscious thinking is used only to find reasons that support the decision the subconscious mind made already.

Ideally, conscious and subconscious thinking return the same result. It's also possible that the results differ. We can make a rational decision that makes best sense but still feel bad about it if the subconscious mind came to a different conclusion.

I think studying our nature is one of the most interesting and rewarding things we can do. We are still at the beginning here and often realize how much we don't know. Neuroscience is a relatively new field.

#14     Jan 20, 2010
  5. Code7

Code7

We routinely make intuitive decisions all the time without thinking about them consciously, for example when driving a car. We often have to because our higher brain functions like conscious thinking are much slower and also very costly.

We work very efficiently so we don't use our most resource consuming brain functions if we don't have to. The average person doesn't utilize conscious thinking very often. We usually act in an automated fashion if appropriate.

#15     Jan 20, 2010
  6. Let's revisit this. You rewrite the second sentence as a corollary. Why?

Without taking any view of the merits, the pair of sentences
    (i) There is no such thing as A; only B.
    (ii) The biggest advocates of A tend to be those with low B.

are logically consistent, but you paraphrase as if stock_trad3r wanted to say (i) implies (ii), and then on that counterfactual basis, you proceed to (a) fail him on an imaginary IQ test and (b) assassinate his character .

He didn't make the implication; you did. Before you cite logic, engage prefrontal cortex. It's hard work, it hurts, I know.

Stray outside the strict syntax/semantics of maths/physics/computer science and the like and the world is replete with bullshit 'logic'.

#16     Jan 20, 2010
  7. The real effective theory for traders such as George Soros is from a sector of psychology called "focusing", which was originally developed by Eugene Gendlin of U of Chicago.

http://www.marketfocusing.com/ft1.html

The author applied the study of the topic to famous traders and found they often use the technique without knowing that they use it, and could often refine it.

I find you have to use it often to benefit, but it does reinforce and build ones own intuitive Market sense.

#17     Jan 20, 2010
  8. mikasa

mikasa

being a resident genius I should comment on the whole IQ thing

since I am qualified the most

now, I didn't read the whole thread, can someone give me
    the gist of it

#18     Jan 20, 2010
  9. ammo

ammo

the gist ,cold,, is ,we are smarter than we know,language is the bastardization of thought,your spoken/written words always betray you,and chickens lay eggs,stilll not sure which came first edit: wallace i like your posts,you mentioned in early dec that you thought we wouldn;t turn until feb,went back trying to find it ,but couldn.t ,care to update, thanks

#19     Jan 20, 2010
  10. mikasa

mikasa

I absolutely agree with you

it took me long time to realize that we are indeed in possession of latent knowledge that goes beyond biological instinct

after studying in detail experiments on Near Death Experiences and Out of Body experiences

I've come to realize that we are indeed spirits trapped in physical bodies for some time.

Death is release into something REAL, something different

(former atheist, with Microbiology degree) :)

#20     Jan 21, 2010