Trading with a Health Savings Account? Possible? Anyone do it?

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by David Donner, Oct 19, 2020.

1. I was looking at MVP Healthcare & their documentation says they have their own HSA with a bank. They let you use Fidelity even though they show their HSA accounts hooked to a bank they work with?

#11     Oct 20, 2020
  2. R1234

R1234

The HSA account custodian and the insurance provider can be (and generally are) completely different. You can have an HSA compliant plan with any insurance provider and still open an account at Fidelity and deposit money into it - Fidelity does not ask for proof that you have a HSA compliant plan. Just make sure you retain your insurance plan documentation for every year you made an HSA contribution in case IRS questions you 20 years from now.

#12     Oct 20, 2020
    David Donner likes this.
  3. rucyrat

rucyrat

I have been using Fidelity for the last few months. I find it a nice broker offering a great trading platform.

#13     Apr 22, 2021
  4. What documentation specifically? I use MVP for my health insurance.

#14     Aug 7, 2021
  5. R1234

R1234

I had MVP last year as well. Just save a scanned PDF of your policy. Policy should show your out-of-pocket maximum amount and the deductible. Those numbers should be greater than the IRS limits for that year in order for your plan to be considered HDHP and therefore eligible for an HSA.

#15     Aug 8, 2021
  6. Do you retail trade for a living?
    That is all I do.
    I retail trade with my savings & live off the profits.
    I just want to make sure that I am eligible to setup an HSA with me just doing that for a living.

#16     Nov 20, 2021
  7. ph1l

ph1l

Yes you can setup a health savings account if your health insurance qualifies as "high deductible" (but not too high a deductible).
    upload_2021-11-20_22-9-48.png

Living off the profits might be harder because of contribution limits, taxes, and penalties.
    upload_2021-11-20_22-12-48.png

#17     Nov 20, 2021
  8. Do you retail trade for a living?
    That is all I do.
    I retail trade with my savings & live off the profits.
    I just want to make sure that I am eligible to setup an HSA with me just doing that for a living.
    NOTE: I dont intend to trade the HSA account and withdraw THAT money to live off of.
    My retail trading is done in my regular retail accounts.

#18     Nov 21, 2021
  9. R1234

R1234

I am self employed too. That has allowed me to specifically shop for HSA compliant plans all these years. Employed people in many cases are out of luck because their employer may not have HSA compliant plan options available.

#19     Nov 21, 2021