Trading with $500,000.00

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Harry123, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Sorry GreenDog - bit of an over reaction on my part.

Just think this is a very interesting thread - and am keen to defend it.

Would love to know why you think it is silly ?

#31     Jan 8, 2003
  2. That's a pretty good point.....It's kind of like the owner of a Ferrari asking members of the Pinto club for pointers on increasing horsepower!!!

If I had the 500k i'd buy a home cash for 250k, then take the rest and buy some QQQ's, DIA and some beer and just sit back and go for a ride :D

#32     Jan 8, 2003
  3. An old Zen riddle:

In a meeting between a wise man and a fool, who comes away learning more ?

You know the answer .......

#33     Jan 8, 2003
  4. listen PatrickDope....I don't need Zen to tell me something smells....that's what my dog is for.

If you made 500k trading over the last year or two, why would you ask for suggestions? keep doing what got you there right?

If something works you keep doing it right? Ive got ten bucks that says this is a set up for some sort of pitch like....s and p guaranteed CD's....It doesn't make sense...and how come Harry isn't responding but you are for him?

#34     Jan 8, 2003
  5. Foz

Foz

As your account grows you want to make bigger trades and vice versa as your account shrinks. Fixed fractional is a little too aggressive, though. While you can stomach a 50% drawdown with a $10k account, you would really hate to see that with a $1m account.

But Ryan Jones' fixed ratio is a little too conservative, though. While it makes sense to double your account to trade another contract at $5k, it doesn't make sense to have to double your account to trade another contract at $1m.

Somewhere inbetween these extremes is good. Here's a suggestion...Bank 1/2 of all new profits when you hit a new peak in equity and trade fixed fractional on the remainder.

Or even more sophisticated... Bank all new profits once your account exceeds half (or a third or whatever) of your net worth and trade fixed fractional on the remainder. With this method you can let your account grow larger and take on more risk if your other investments are doing well.

#35     Jan 8, 2003

6. And there's the rub TM. You just hit the nail on the head.

Harry's not only searching for advice on HOW to 'keep doing' that - but also IF trading and taking the same % risk is the right thing to do.

P>S am not in cahoots with Harry - but like I said earlier, I am wrestling with the same challenges. Do you ever have problems you might like help with / ideas TM ?

#36     Jan 8, 2003
  7. Yes...Im still trying to figure out who would win a race between a midget and a pig:D

In all seriousness though, This is not a serious problem...also, I will bet anything there is a follow up link from some "new poster" who will have a hedgefund, book or some other thing for sale that will miraculously appear....I'll keep quiet from here on and watch...but it's always the same. By the way do you know Harry?
    in a search of posts it seems you tend to post when he does...maybe coincidence though.

#37     Jan 8, 2003
  8. www.shred-the-e-mini-with-harry-the-hippo.com

I believe this site is a joint venture with the infamous Bright Brothers! Membership to the site is just $199.99/month -- BUT, you get a 10% discount on the "Bright $1,000 Vegas Boondoggle 'Seminar!'

Count me in fellas!!:p

#38     Jan 8, 2003
  9. This is really tiresome TM. Shall we drop it ?

I've got no idea who Harry123 is. I once posted to a thread started by Harrytrader. Perhaps you have a conspiracy theory about that too ?

#39     Jan 8, 2003
  10. don't take it too personally....I just thought you were defending too much. my bad

#40     Jan 8, 2003