Trading while trying to lose weight on Atkins

Discussion in 'Politics' started by jem, Jul 16, 2003.

1. 3rdocagt

3rdocagt

Jem

You might want to check out www.metabolicdiet.com. It's Atkins lite. You are allowed up to 50g of carbs per day (you find your own level) and can carb up on the weekends. Its a very easy to follow and socially doable as you can pig out on weekends with friends and family. Once you are well on your way you can even have a carb meal during the week.

I find I have no problem sticking to the diet knowing the weekend is near! And, I might add that I am a carboholic!

No problems with low energy or mental acuity. Good luck.

#51     Jul 17, 2003
  2. One mistake I made was doing these diets while being on a trading desk with other persons.

Enough said.

Anyways, the bigest concern that you should have would be your sugar levels. Too much from donuts and other fruits makes you jittery and over trade, too little makes you lethargic and miss too many good trade setups. Too much coffee makes one hyper and also over trade. These are actual results that we observed from the guys on the trading desk.

So, trade at your own risk, but get the (sugar) levels right.

#52     Jul 17, 2003
  3. nitro

nitro

One of the things I learned from the above book was that what you want is sugar from foods that have complex chemical bonds to it. This way, the sugar level in the body rises slowly as the enzymes break down the food, and therefore the body does not need to release huge amounts of insulin which causes havoc on your body. Veggies have complex bonds to sugars. [Most] Everything else has simple bonds to sugar.

I recommend reading the book...

nitro

#53     Jul 17, 2003
  4. jem

jem

Update. Yes I was having serious caffiene withdrawals on top of the sugar carb withdrawal thing. I drank some diet coke and got rid of the intial major headache and almost dizziness. Today I hardly wanted any diet coke. I was actually turning into a health food snob thinking how can I put this into body. (My still overweight but noticeably improving body.) I am starting to see some definition that was put there years ago when I would do two or more a day workouts.

I see the fat dropping but it sure is difficult keeping a varied and interesting diet when you do not eat carbs. I suspect I will swithch to the zone or atkins/carb cycling thing if I can hold out another week or two.

My brain still feels a little slow, and I do not have much patience, but, like the atkins guy who started on saturday mentioned, I am starting to feel better.

The major obvious benefit to this diet (besides the hoped for weight loss) is that I do not have the ups and downs from the sugar rushes I gave myself. (I really do think your brain loves the sugar in the morning though, so eventually I will have to work something in). Right now I feel a little sluggish, a little hungary, a little more balanced, a little dumber, and a little lighter.

I would reccommend it because I feel like I am cleaning my system up.

Thanks for the info I am reviewing all of it as I get a chance.

John

#54     Jul 17, 2003
  5. Foz

Foz

What is w3/w6 oil blend? I've heard of wd30 and 3-in-1 oil, but I wouldn't want to eat them.

The spinach & cheese omlet sounds good!

#55     Jul 17, 2003
  6. nitro

nitro

John,

Do yourself a favor and read the book I posted. He says that the Atkins diet is absolutely terrible for some people.

He also mentions that Blueberries are TERRIFIC for higher brain functions.

His diet is nearly impossible to follow IMHO, but the education you get is pretty sound.

nitro

#56     Jul 17, 2003
  7. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

What are you craving the most?

#57     Jul 17, 2003
  8. maxpi

maxpi

I did a lot of research on diet, using scripture as the top document, ie; whatever fit the general ideas put forth in the Bible I kept and whatever did not I threw out. For starters avoid bad things, mainly refined sugar, booze, cigarettes of course too, (not that they are usually eaten) and eat a good breakfast. Adelle Davis did some research about 60 years ago that showed that if you eat a breakfast with fat, carbs and protein, like eggs, veggies and whole milk on oatmeal you will have a feeling of well being up into the afternoon hours. Works for me. Make veggies the main part of your diet and eat fruit when you want it and have some good quality meat every so often, maybe not every day. Go past the hamburger and go for the steaks, it is just higher quality meat. Scripture tells me that the environment is nothing at all like what it was in the first place so I concluded that not supplementing would not work very well, and research bears that out. People in simpler cultures than the over developed ones in the west eat the heads of animals they butcher, they eat the brains which are loaded with collagen, the eyes which are loaded with hyaluronic acid and the glands which can provide growth hormone. Some of those people are buff at advanced age. You can get supplements that give you all of that and you can fight off aging to a large degree, believe me I'm old and I'm lifting weights and building strength with no problem at all.

Not eating is also a good thing. I think the theory is that if you don't eat you free up energy so your pancreas can produce enzymes to repair your body instead of producing the enzymes to digest cooked food. I have no idea on when or how long to fast but it is an area that maybe nobody should overlook.

Eat veggies only cooked lightly, same for fruit. Raw or cooked at low temperatures is better because those foods come with enzymes that help you digest them without working your pancreas to make up the deficiency.

The blood is supposed to be alkyline or neutral and the digestive tract is supposed to be acidic. If you eat a bad diet this situation reverses and then beasties that are not supposed to thrive in you blood can, and ones that are supposed to thrive in your colon cannot and chronic illness ensues. Supplementing calcium is what a lot of people do to keep in balance but cancer seems to be caused by an inability to get calcium out of a cell in a lot of cases so cancer may be more of a hydration and antioxidant problem than an acid/alkiline imbalance. The hyaluronic acid supplementation will cause your body to hydrate at the cellular level and could possibly stave off cancer, it certainly causes your connective tissue to become a lot stronger.

Later

Max

#58     Jul 17, 2003
  9. sure are a lot of fat people who trade

#59     Jul 17, 2003
  10. nitro

nitro

Accoding to Mercola, 2/3 of the people in the United States are seriously overweight.

BTW, the guy has a web site:

http://www.mercola.com/

nitro

#60     Jul 17, 2003