Trading while trying to lose weight on Atkins

Discussion in 'Politics' started by jem, Jul 16, 2003.

1. bone

bone

Electronic Trading - talk about a sedentary occupation!

#41     Jul 17, 2003
  2. ron2368

ron2368

Have not seen the ZONE diet mentioned yet. Its balanced amounts of protein, fat and carbs each meal based on some body measurements to determine your caloric needs. The use of higher quality fats and lower glycemic index carbs is the key.

Atkins uses food to change /manipulate your body chemistry into ketosis, as long as you enjoy ketosis!

Concerning the glycemic index carbs, if you read /search "adult onset diabetes" it is a condition that has increased 50% in the last 10 years and expects to see a rise of 165% by 2050 per the CDC.

High blood insulin levels from these carbs depress serotonin which is not good = poor sleep and depression.

#42     Jul 17, 2003
  3. the ZONE diet is pretty good.

the ZONE daily targets are 40/30/30 (40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat).

combine this with eating the best foods you can and a way of determining how many calories you need each day and you're on the right track.

FRuiTY

#43     Jul 17, 2003
  4. i know some others already mentioned this but you are definitely having caffeine withdrawals..........been there done that....i like the suggestion of taking a few naps in the afternoon....caffeine also does a number on blood sugar levels and increases one's appetite.....i used to mistake lower blood sugar levels for hunger....it's nice not having to rush to eat anymore.

#44     Jul 17, 2003
  5. cashonly

cashonly Bright Trading, LLC

Hey Fruity Boy, I think this website is right up your alley:
    http://www.toonoftheweek.com
    :D

#45     Jul 17, 2003
  6. nitro

nitro

I am reading thru this book. Ugh, although I think a person would be extremely healthy doing this, I don't see how the average person can eat this way.

nitro :(

#46     Jul 17, 2003
  7. gms

gms

I have a diet I invented years ago that does the trick too. On this diet, you can eat whatever you want, as much as you want, whenever you want. You can even eat more than you're eating nowadays if you want to. No kidding. But every 3 months or so, you have to go out and buy yourself some new clothes, and the new clothes have to be 2 sizes bigger than you actually need. That way, everyone that sees you will say, "Hey, you look like you've lost some weight!", and that's all you really want to hear anyway.

#47     Jul 17, 2003
  8. Andre

Andre

Been thinkin' about the Atkins diet, myself. Don't know that the headaches are from the diet. More likely, I'd think they might be from caffeine withdrawal. Could be from sugar too. Cold turkey, I've heard it takes about 2 weeks get over serious caffeine withdrawals.

As for diet... anyone remember the Bloom County sunday strip where in each panel Opus talks about trying a new fad diet? In the first panel, Milo simply says "Eat less and exercise". As the strip goes on, Opus becomes more frantic and crazed, while Milo gets more pissed. Finally, at the most ridiculous diet Opus can think of, Milo is beating on the head with a 2x4 or something, screaming... Eat Less and Exercise!

André

#48     Jul 17, 2003
  9. The bottom is line is calorie management as somebody mentioned before. For an average male with moderate exercise, the body needs about 16 calories/pound daily to maintain weight. Moderate exercise is about 2-3 hours/week. So a 200lbs male exercising about 2-3 hours/week needs about 3200 cals/day to stay at the same weight.

So it's your choice. You can just eat a pound of bacon or 20lbs of spinach daily and stay at the same weight (1lbs of bacon and 20lbs of spinach has about same calories). You need to eat all the melted fat in the bacon too :) I personally would prefer bacon to spinach since the fat will make me feel satisfied much more.

That's the trick with the low carb diets. The fats in the diet keeps you fill fulled for a long time. You don't need to eat bacon though. Here's my favorite meal:

egg substitute (100 % egg whites)
    low fat cheese
    spinach

Make an omlet with these. After it's cooked add 1 Tsp olive oil and 1 Tsp of w3/w6 oil blend. Adjust the egg and cheese content so that it has about 350 calories. You'll get about 250 calories from the oil. It's a 600 cal meal and will keep you satisfied for hours.

I feel like a housewife writing recipes. Anyway, it's better than watching every tick of NQ!!!

#49     Jul 17, 2003
  10. chinook great post. Right on the money with accuracy.

And the recipe is a keeper too.

:)

#50     Jul 17, 2003