Trading while travelling

Discussion in 'Trading' started by humbletrader2016, Jul 20, 2018.

1. I'm planning to travel to Asia and then Europe starting this October, which my plan is to remain there for about 3 to 5-year to explore around each country with my gf. I'm curious to know if any full-time day trader here who has done this before and what I need to be aware of?

+) Internet problem: in addition to hotel's internet, I plan to use cellphone's fastest internet package from two different cellphone service providers from each country.

+) Do you have to travel back to your country to file your income tax each year?

Thanks

CSEtrader likes this.
  2. Peter10

Peter10

which country are you from?

3. pipeguy

pipeguy

Hmm why you need that info? I would also like to move to TS country if people from here can easily spend 3-5 years from their life for traveling without caring about the future.

4. CSEtrader

CSEtrader

Good luck!
    Never tried cell phones for trade, been only intraday trader after scary overnights in autumn 2008- spring 2009.
    As for hotels - which countries are you planning to visit?
    Here is our little carnet of experience
    - Indonesia, Bali, the internet was terrible almost in all hotels. Maybe it changed now?
    - Thailand, Bangkok, Chiangmai - no problem.
    - Germany, Austria, Finland, France, Monaco - no problem
    - Italy - big cities, no problem
    - Russia, Moscow, St Petersburg, Sochi - no problem.
    Hope it will help.

[QUOTE="humbletrader2016, post: 4693232, member: 495117"
    +) Do you have to travel back to your country to file your income tax each year?

Thanks[/QUOTE]
    Not certainly no, if you are resident in the tax-free Bahamas! Lol. But for the rest, why in 2018, with all the electronic feelings available, will you need to travel back to your country? Unless, if the taxation office will pay your return ticket, possibly in business class with caviar and champagne reception upon your arrival.

And I hope you will start a thread here on ET, posting your traveling photos and trading experiences and inspiring others too!
    All the best!

humbletrader2016 and CALLumbus like this.
  5. They

They

It really depends what type of trading you do.

I am travelling in Europe for a year (France, Andorra, Spain) No problems so far.
    I have traded from Malaysia and Singapore in the past, also no problems.
    As posted above the internet in Bali was crap in 2010 when I was there last. I eventually just gave up and didn't trade for the month I was there.

CSEtrader and humbletrader2016 like this.
  6. Been traveling to many places last few years, but I never stay there longer than a month or two for each trip. This time is different as we are homeless right now. We sold our homes with nice profits during this Spring due to high real estate prices in Toronto, Canada. We are going to spend majority of our time in places like China, the problem with staying in China is that we're only allowed to stay there for a maximum duration of 2-month as a visitor for each trip, Hong Kong and Taiwan since I speak both cantonese and mandarin. We plan to make frequent trips to Thailand, Japan, Singapore, and few trips to France, England, Spain, Iceland and etc.. While in Europe, we plan to do backpacking trips as we love hiking, adventures and etc... We won't travel to places like Indonesia, Malaysia or east Asia because we don't know how safe these places are.

Back to trading, my expertise lies within scalping and momentum trading by using ES instrument. So far, I never have experienced any issue with internet connectivity while traveling. But I often made those trips to Asia during winter period here in Canada, which means hurricane season was already over in Asia. So, I've no idea how summer and hurricane season would affect my trading while staying there.

Lastly, I'd love to hang out with professional traders sometimes if you live in one of those listed countries in above. PM me and we shall meet sometime at our conveniences or trading together. Attached is a screenshot of my trades from yesterday to give you some ideas of my trading style.

et1.png

CSEtrader likes this.
  7. luisHK

luisHK

Hotel internet can be poor even in western countries. Don t trade anything from a hotel if a loss of connection can incur a large loss. It seems u have experience in China, make sure the platform u use is available from the mainland. A bunch of websites although not banned are not accessible, IB works btw. And get a VPN before u fly into China, they have become more difficult to download from the mainland.
    Good luck with ur trip, u are more likely to get into troubles into Thailand than in Malaysia imo, although both countries are fairly safe as long as u don t get drunk or know how to remain calm (not my forte).

humbletrader2016 likes this.
  8. imjohn

imjohn

I've traded extensively from Taiwan, Philippines, Vietnam, and briefly from Hong Kong.

The only place I had trouble was Philippines, throughout 2017. Even with the best connection, it was spotty. I don't know if it's improved in 2018.

Internet in Taipei, TW (whether from your cellphone hotspot, a locally paid wifi connection, or even the free public wifi in train stations) is extremely fast, and I've never had a single hiccup using any of them. (Have traded with them all.)

Internet in Ho Chi Minh city, VN is fine for trading. But, it's possible that it goes down abruptly from time to time. I've never experienced one of these outages myself, but I've heard from local friends that it's attributed to "sharks eating the cables". Not sure what to make of this response...

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...e-eating-the-internet-in-vietnam-9962747.html

HK was fine, but I was only there briefly. I'm thinking a lot of traders there. It's a financial hub.

As for other parts of East Asia (Japan, Korea, Macau, China), I doubt you'll have any trouble trading in world class cities like Seoul or Tokyo.

For South East Asia, I have friends who trade from Thailand with no problems. Lots of "digital nomad" types live there in Chiang Mai and also Bangkok.

I'm guessing Singapore you'll be fine.

Safety throughout East Asia is not a major concern. SE Asia on the other hand, may be dangerous if you veer too far off the beaten path of other foreigners.

Never traveled in Europe so that ends my contribution.

Enjoy your trip.

BTW-- How did you become fluent in Mandarin and Cantonese? Those languages are both complex and not mutually intelligible. If you can freely converse in both (and English), that is quite remarkable. I envy you.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    humbletrader2016 likes this.
  9. Peter10

Peter10

five trades no loss! that nice. but why didn't you show the time since you are showing the lot size and profit?

10. qxr1011

qxr1011

IMHO one should not trade while traveling

#10     Jul 22, 2018