Trading while living in a hotel

Discussion in 'Trading' started by raszorz, Jul 26, 2003.

1. raszorz

raszorz Guest

I just read a story in a book about someone that would from time to time have to travel to various cities and live different hotels while trading. has anyone ever done this? something about being mobile like that seems appealing, though expensive.

2. If you trade with a Laptop and the hotels had broadband it would be okay.If you trade with 4 monitors it would be difficult.

3. Miki

Miki

I do it four days a week – almost every week.

All it takes is a laptop and a flat monitor for the two-screen trading station.

Broadband would be nice but not necessary when trading just one instrument.

4. raszorz

raszorz Guest

really?

well actually i was thinking of trading at various branch locations... that's interesting though.

5. MR.NBBO

MR.NBBO

Yea, it's great...just a laptop and a real broadband connection.
    Traded at the Hilton at Waikolo in Hawaii for a while, hanging out right over the ocean. Hope to tour europe next summer like this.

6. RAMOUTAR

RAMOUTAR

I traded from many hotel rooms over the years. I setup up a seperate "page/layout" for 56K connections. I could only look at the dailys at night because it took 2 mins for them to come up. Not all hotels have broadband, yet some like the Four Seasons have Wi-Fi set up throughout the grounds, and neighboring beach...very nice.

7. What was the name of the book?

8. I am on the road and trade out of Hotel rooms (in the morning)with my laptop about 6 days/month.

No problems at all.

Use a dialup connection with IB & Quotetracker
    Of course this is not daytrading, I swingtrade, 2-5 day trades.

Being on the west coast helps, pre-markets open at 5am and I am usually done for the day by 8am (11am ET). I can also catch the tail end of the aftermarket session (if concerned about a trade) up until 5pm PT.

9. TOL

TOL

No problem. Specially on travels to different time zone, where you can trade at night/early morning. I use to have Global Trader that worked fine on 56k. If you use browser software - no problem at all.
    Take in account, some of the hotels that gives BB, have also FireWall, then you're blocked.

TOL