Trading while in college

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by KevinO, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Mr Genius

Mr Genius

When I was 22 years old, I lost about $60 K and then made $150-160 K within the same week.

What is my advice? Be flexible and stay humble.

#11     Apr 26, 2011
  2. heech

heech

If you're an applied math major, I'd suggest your focus should be on learning about as many markets/instruments as you can... the idea is to build experience, so that *eventually* (a decade from now?) you'll be able to use your analytical background as your edge. I don't think the scalping/daytrading game makes much sense; you wouldn't have an edge over the unemployed high school dropout sitting in mom's basement.

I think UW has a computational finance master's program, don't they? I'd make that your goal.

#12     Apr 26, 2011
  3. heech

heech

Oh, and as long as we're sharing "when I was in college" stories... I borrowed $20k from my parents, and promptly lost $16k in about 2 months. Horrifying experience!

#13     Apr 26, 2011
  4. ajacobson

ajacobson

Ken Griffen - The founder of Citadel - began his trading career trading convertible bonds with a few thousand dollars from his dorm room.

Everyone starts somewhere.

#14     Apr 26, 2011
  5. KevinO

KevinO

Thank you guys for responding! I will keep some of the things that were said in mind. Everyone needs to start somewhere, no? Even if I lose, I will always gain something from it.

And yes, there is an applied mathematics department here in the UW and I was planning on getting my master's in it with a focus in computational finance. There really isn't an "applied mathematics" in UW, but I thought it would be easier to say that than "Applied and Computational Math Sciences" or ACMS :) .

But thanks again for everyone's thoughts and for responding, it really does mean a lot to me. I'm starting to walk on the road to where I need to be to reach my goals.

#15     Apr 27, 2011