Trading while ill?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by smilingsynic, Sep 4, 2007.

1. To those who trade for a living, day after day: what do you do when you are under the weather? Stay home (or if at home, turn off the computer) or brave it?

What about during a volatile market, when there is much more potential?

My feeling about it is that trading is like fighting, and I am not going to step between the proverbial ropes and risk my hard-earned capital unless I am at my best. If I cannot think clearly, I should not be trading. Rather, I should get better so I can get back in the ring as soon as possible.

2. Stay in bed, drink fluids, eat a multivitamin.

Chicken noodle soup is the holy grail.

3. I don't trade everyday and never if I'm down with the flu or a killer headache.

I rarely missed work when I punched a clock.

Seldom did I miss work when I started my business.

Even if you're grinding out a living daytrading, without a large safety net between you and poverty, I'd avoid trading when your focus is less than par.

4. You answered your own question (correctly). Unless you are feeling fit physcially AND emotionally...including having slept well, you have no business trading. This is one of my cardinal rules. The market swallows alive those foolish enough to brave it when their reaction times and reasoning abilities are diminished for any reason.

Chartiste

5. mde2004

mde2004

Drink a few bottles of Robotussin and trade like a shark.

6. Depends on the individual and his trading style. The "daytraders" might think about leaving the computers off...the longer term arbitragers will likely pull the computer up so they can see their alerts and respond. Swing traders will likely keep up a P&L window, investors probably just keep track of the overall market.

My two pennies.

Don