Trading vs Investing

Discussion in 'Trading' started by FCXoptions, Jan 3, 2013.

How many think they would have done better investing than trading their account?

1. Yes long term I have been much more successful

7 vote(s)
    38.9%
  2. No I am awesome at trading

7 vote(s)
    38.9%
  3. I suck at both

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  4. I don't know

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. like the man said, "You invest in people, you trade commodities."

#21     Jan 4, 2013
  2. deucy28

deucy28

You just defined cause and reason for my (our group) modus operandi.

"Enjoying consistent gains with relative safety and agnostic to market direction counts as "betterment" to me rather than investing with worry."

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=3715371#post3715371

#22     Jan 4, 2013
  3. If you don't believe me, just try investing in wheat sometime.

#23     Jan 4, 2013
  4. ofthomas

ofthomas

ahhh... I think I understand what you mean now... in that case yes, we trade all the time... and I have traded, not invested, on KWE/ZWA... :)

#24     Jan 4, 2013

5. I guess he is still trying to convince himself, it's really amazing that he claims to have a higher education and be a Harvard boy and yet, has no common sense and it seems the guy blew up his acct right off the bat and thinks everyone else will do the same as him LOL.

#25     Jan 4, 2013
  6. yes well, I'll give him credit for the fact that he is persistent, and people talk about him.

Might not be such a good talent in trading.

But perhaps, somebody else could use it somewhere.

#26     Jan 4, 2013

7. I f he was to hurry and get to the McDonalds near me they are hiring for a parking lot attendant. Just think, he could start a new trading acct with his earnings...oh, no wait then he would be a small trader again and just LOSE Again!: He would just lose! D

#27     Jan 4, 2013
  8. back in the day, we use to work with some kids who had substance abuse. The owner of the local McDonalds understood the problem.

It was a big deal to get them a job, and we had a big party when they made it to shift manager.

so I don't like making derogatory comments about what a man does for a living

#28     Jan 4, 2013
  9. Most people have to work at a job to gather their initial capital if their parents aren't into using money to make money.

Most parents probably invest in getting their kids to and through college and that could eat up some investments used to get the capital for educating from about 5 years old onward.

Most parents of kids coming out of college don't set their kids up to trade as they do. As you see here, older traders sweep accounts and keep their trading capital fixed at various levels because of perceived personal trading risks.

So the three designations for using captial as a commodity apply to anyone of any age with any given goals. ST, IT and LT mean different things to different people.

Parking excess capital in IT or LT could be something financial planners might do. Few financial planners keep building wealth for their clients and the clients keep paying for services since that is the convention.

All traders have to deal with excess capital since they have made it to being traders. So sweeping excess capital is done. Where it is put is often not a managed place. Some think mutual funds are managed. Government incentives like 401k's etc can be used to park capital in funds. Funds do not seem to be managed any further than keeping the funds profitable.

I would say most people put trading profits into their life style expenditures. They own homes, cars and vacation facilities. Payments usally are done with swept money. Airheads keep the information flow going on the myths of using capital. They are parasites of the conventional type thinker.

It is difficult for a trader to put capital into anything longer than ST after he has capitalized his life style. He knows how markets work and he has systems applications that can absorb various amounts of capital. 2013 is allowing the horizon to begin to show the inherent risk of using capital for trading. Getting capital back and into a place where the capital has personal utility is the consideration.

In the 60's, everyone had a sailboat and they collateralized the purchases by 100% street name accounts. The sailboat was free, in effect, if you paid interest only for the term. Trading in street name took care of building the loan amount. Everyone raced each other on weekends and did summer sails from the NYC area on up to where the WWII ship convoys began to go across to Europe to supply the war. Then college kids brought the boats back to NYC area. It was called the NYYC cruise. Boats were put in around Memorial day and hauled after Labor day. From Labor day to Memorial day they sat idle.

Street name accounts is where unlimited capital can work and, at the same time have money as a commodity value (collateral value). This investing is still considered by the banks and financial industry to be short term capital. IT and LT does not work to make money today; for evidence look at the ranked MF's and HF's performance compared to instrument performance.

Since traders just take the market's offer, they have axcess capital all the time. Giving it away is a good activity since people who work on solving culteral problems do not know how to manage making money. Why should they?

#29     Jan 4, 2013