trading vs coaching

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by adamchubb, Feb 14, 2011.

1. i'm also interested in joining some trading group. i trade us stocks, typically holding period 1-5 days.

#11     Feb 15, 2011
  2. B*S* you go on aBOUT MY thread and not revelaing your "edge" but now all of a sudden you'll do it for a few hundred $$'s...bull! You either do not trust your-self or you withold a small part of your edge and rip people off!....

"those who can't TEACH!"

#12     Mar 11, 2011
  3. Handle123

Handle123

I have 25 years of daytrading/31 years of investing-trading commodities and stocks. I have reached all the goals and challenges I attempted. Was on the floor brief time, co-owned brokerage, sold manuals, courses, software, won contests, traded money, mentored, chat rooms, fax services and taught for free. In all the years I offered my services, I always offered my brokerage statements, early years students would trade one my accounts to pay my fee, and after that my fees came from their profits. I always made it a point that my trading was at least 90% of my income. At some point, I just got plain tired on being on phone all day with students, those who took mentoring were guaranteed to be with me min of one year, you can't learn nuances in a weekend. Very often times explaining concepts, I would lose out on opportunities, after awhile, repeating same thing 1000 times sinks in, and yes, teaching others do reinforce your discipline and sometimes students discover patterns that I never saw before, they have fresher eyes. My fees were about what a few years at Harvard would cost, but never advertised and always had waiting list. I just can't believe so many people PAY others without these mentors/services providing 3-5 years of brokerage statements. What is funny, they either get angry you are even asking or have any dozen of other excuses.

Last year I had two brain surgeries and what I once was able to do easily is now hugely frustrating cause I just can't remember all the nuances I once knew, so six more weeks of day trading and I am done daytrading myself, have automation and employees. I am continuing in direction where in my history of trading where the biggest money comes, longer term trading and spreads. Trading is 20% of one's time, the money is made in the backtesting.

There have been instances where in last 30 years where a guru either provided his edge and market plunged from all the subscribers all joining up together, there have been a few systems sold where all the retail pushed market in one direction.
    You go back into history far enough, and everything have been done at least once.

Too many talk about the "edge," thinking it is some idea in your brain, or a magic system, my edge has always been "hard work."
    In day trading, you work hard enough at money management rules, you can get weekly win rates of over 90%, does that mean you can own the world in a year, not even. I prefer to enter without showing huge volume on limit orders. One thing about when you are wrong with huge volume is called huge losses and slippage, especially since I average down on all trades.

So, yes, you can learn much more by teaching others, reinforces your own rules. It IS an INCREDIBLE feeling taking some trader who has lost for years and now makes a great living. Trading gets so flipping boring after awhile, teaching can offer a direction for both.

This will be my last post for awhile, going to be traveling for fun for at least a year.

Good trading all.

#13     Mar 12, 2011
    beginner66 likes this.
  4. "Money is made in the backtesting."

Words of wisdom.

When I first started trading, I wasted two years until I figured that out.

#14     Mar 13, 2011