Trading Vacations

Discussion in 'Trading' started by rs7, Jul 15, 2002.

1. rs7

rs7

Not even the marmots? Not even a little?

#21     Jul 16, 2002
  2. Lavish

Lavish

#22     Jul 16, 2002

3. "The Golden Circle"? Well , thinking back to my days at Mother Merrill...I believe that was an award given to brokers who hit certain production numbers. I think you got a small bonus check and you had your name on the office wall. for some reason i think it was actually called the "president's Club" .but it's been a while.

As far as vacations go....snowboarding in the winter is a must for me(Mt Stowe, Vermont is one of my favorites..and I hope to buy a condo one day). and from April to October I try to play golf twice a week. and theres the dart league Monday nights...the august trips to the lake...November in Florida...

but to be honest... like many of us here...the markets are always on my mind....today I woke up(my girlfriend is now programed to turn bedroom TV on b4 she leaves) to see the beautiful Emma Crosby(cnbc europe), had the coffee on the bedside table, and thats always a great start to my day.:D

#23     Jul 16, 2002
  4. rs7

rs7

Yeah, that is what I remember as well. I think their were a few tiers of status, but fortunately I did my one year contract and got away from Mother Merrill. Worst year of my life (professionally).

#24     Jul 16, 2002
  5. rs-
    if it wasn't for the fact that I got lucky and made some decent $ during my 2 years at MER (made the $ from stocks and the Munder NetNEt fund!) , and that I was lucky to get a very friendly manager..those would have been miserable years for me as well. I was probably the youngest guy in the office....an environment that was so boring..at times I had to look around to make sure people were still there. The exact opposite of my days at Morgan where we would be on the phones, standing up, noise levels made you feel alive. And the office was younger.so at the end of the day it was off to the bar...or after a exciting day...the "gentleman's club":D

Thats one thing I do miss about being a remote trader. Having co-workers to go to lunch with....seeing and meeting women in and around downtown...etc

#25     Jul 16, 2002
  6. I take off to the mountains....just got back from Sequoia National park ....went backcountry...no CNBC there gauranteed....

#26     Jul 16, 2002
  7. Vacation is a good chance to practice your discipline. Just DON't watch the TV and DON'T read the paper. Use your willpower to NOT do it! (Then sneak away while the wife is getting ready to go out taking all the time to do her hair etc...

#27     Jul 16, 2002
  8. Guerilla

Guerilla

It was John Houseman for Smith Barney...
    "We make money the old fashion way. We earn it"

#28     Jul 16, 2002
  9. Avoiding TV and newspapers doesn't always work. Invariably, if you tell someone that you are from the U.S., they ask you to comment on some latest bit of business news that you have not even seen yet. "So, what do you think about the lastest bankruptcy of company X and the plummenting dollar?"

But, I feel most sorry for the forex traders. If you travel internationally, you absolutely cannot avoid seeing the "Change"/"Cambio" money changer offices and the latest quotes.

#29     Jul 16, 2002
  10. Why would anyone go on vacation without being able to trade. Take a laptop, trade in the morning take the rest of the day to have fun.....How can it be a vacation (fun) if you can't trade?

Simple solution, eh? Vacation in the West, so you can trade before your spouse is awake...

:)

don

#30     Jul 16, 2002