trading using moving averages

Discussion in 'Journals' started by padutrader, Sep 10, 2019.

1. padutrader

padutrader

in any case you should not use them in isolation.....but i do not use crossovers at all

#21     Sep 10, 2019
    Onra likes this.
  2. Don't mean to harsh your mellow... but my view is that the way you're using them is inefficient and therefore not advised. IOW... you're wasting your time with that approach. FWIW...

My view on MAs....

1. Pay attention to the 50 and 200 day MAs. EVERYBODY watches them and so should you... they are often "action points" but sometimes irrelevant. (Learn them and you'll figure out when they are irrelevant.)

2. Shorter term MAs might be OK. (I "cut my teeth" in TA years ago starting with the "20 day MA cross") if you learn when they DON'T work.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    #22     Sep 10, 2019
  3. padutrader

padutrader

that is your view...i have my uses

#23     Sep 10, 2019
  4. padutrader

padutrader

i am using averages to determine the state of the market:is it trending or ranging.

i only have to check the relevant average to know what many time frames is doing....for example the 4 and 9 are in strong up trend whereas the 50 20 and 100 are flat ....

this is valuable information with less subjectivity as compared to using ONLY PA

#24     Sep 10, 2019
  5. Don't you yet realize that when you disagree with me that you're "poking a stick at the big dog"?

I'm trying to help you and anyone who reads this thread (though I don't know why I should bother). Suggest you pay attention.

#25     Sep 10, 2019
  6. padutrader

padutrader

moving averages are derived totally from price....only from pure price........

they are a reflection of price...sure they lag ...but all context is lagging

#26     Sep 10, 2019
  7. padutrader

padutrader

so you are pulling rank?.

i am finding it useful........so i will use it.

i am not saying you should use it too

#27     Sep 10, 2019
  8. 1. I won a national investing championship ("things" being slightly different, I might have won 3 times), so I have some cred somewhere in the financial/trading world. You ever do anything like that?

2. I was #1 (out of 225 advisors covered) in the MoniResearch investment advisory newsletter for 5 years ... and by a LARGE margin. (In spite of that, you think perhaps I was just "lucky" for all those years and am actually FULL OF CRAP. Suggest, that's not a good bet.)

So... you regard anything I have to say about the markets as mere bupkis?

I'm not telling you what you should do, but rather trying to direct you away from unproductive pursuits. (Not that it really matters to me... you ain't sending me any money nor paying my bills.)

#28     Sep 10, 2019
    SimpleMeLike likes this.
  9. panzerman

panzerman

There is your logical fallacy, context does not lag, it is present in real time. If you insist on using MAs, at least use some of the newer low-lag ones, like John Ehlers zerolag.

In fact, you should read up on John Ehlers work and learn how to "engineer" MAs if you are going to use them. I personally have never found an MA that has the attributes of low/zero lag (called group-delay) , has sufficient attenuation of the stopband frequencies (something less than -60dB), and is causal.

#29     Sep 10, 2019
  10. MAs are "1st derivative" of price. Some of them are helpful at times. That's all.

#30     Sep 10, 2019
    S-Trader likes this.