Trading US Options in UK

Discussion in 'Options' started by Leosawyer, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Leosawyer

Leosawyer

I have started looking at Options trading, because I want a vehicle with better risk management capabilities. However, it seems none too easy to find a good broker in Europe with which to trade US options. Does anyone have any insights on the matter?

Are there any UK traders trading non-US options for instance, who can enlighten me?

2. cvds16

cvds16

why don't you just get an US broker ... ?

3. Leosawyer

Leosawyer

There are restrictions. ThinkorSwim only trades with US citizens. The UK has tight regulations on options trading for some reason. Using a good brokerage is essential, and a lot of them have lousy reviews. From experience, expensive fees can be crippling, and a poor interface can be a serious handicap.

4. cvds16

cvds16

endicottsteel likes this.
  5. Leosawyer

Leosawyer

Hi, yes. Used to have a good reputation, but the last couple of years the reviews are very poor. I actually have an old account with them, which i closed two years ago, and then they started sending me messages about how I was running up bills on my leveraged account. There seemed to be no way of getting hold of their customers services, although I emailed them several times. As I had no active account, this was the only way i could contact them. APPALLING is not strong enough to describe my experience with them.

6. komorebi

komorebi

Are you a shill?

7. Leosawyer

Leosawyer

No. Are you?

8. Just use interactive brokers. Yes customer service is poor if you have a small account. If you are doing simple stuff its fine. If using a lot of margin v. Acc size you may need another broker. Their financial stability is as solid as it gets imo.

komorebi likes this.
  9. If you are in the UK, you can get leverage and pay no tax via spreadbetting. You can even cap risk to a maximum level by paying a larger spread. This may be a better path.

10. Leosawyer

Leosawyer

Thanks UK. This is interesting. Where would be a good portal?

#10     Mar 12, 2016