Trading UK stocks through IB?

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by trader3, May 23, 2006.

1. trader3

trader3

What are the IB commissions for trading UK stocks? It looks like they are 6 GBP per side for under 50,000 GBP worth. Is it possible to daytrade UK stocks through IB successfully or are the commissions too high? What are some of the UK stocks that are equivalent to the US tech stocks in volatility and volume?
    Thanks

2. just21

just21

You have to pay 0.5% stamp tax to the government on every purchase. 200 flat trades and you are bust!

3. dont

dont

Are there any institutions that are not required to pay the stamp duty.

For example Brokers?

4. trader3

trader3

So then what is worth trading outside of the US markets besides ESTX50 and the DAX?

5. just21

just21

To avoid the stamp tax, hedge funds use contracts for differences.

6. dont

dont

Why not use Single stock futures.

Also if they are using CFD's who are they trading with, ultimately the hedger pays the stamp duty?

7. just21

just21

Market makers are exempt.

8. why people want to trade any stock other than stock listed in the US? I see the reason for futures and options, but as far as stocks go, US stocks is most liquid.

9. just21

just21

If the dollar declines by 25% you have to have picked a good stock just to break even.

10. I don't think it will affect you if you going to stay in the US. I think the decline of dollar is more or less a good thing. At least foreigner will buy from the US instead of the US buying foreigner products which lead to a even bigger budget deficits.

#10     May 23, 2006