trading turrets for sale

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by marketsurfer, Apr 2, 2006.

1. thankyou, calculon and babak.

surfer

#11     Apr 2, 2006
  2. Toonces

Toonces

Hard to see the keys. What exactly do they do?

#12     Apr 3, 2006
  3. Chagi

Chagi

Big part of it just seems to look like a glorified telephone (i.e. the multi-line function), but I assume that there would be a voice recording system (backend) and that this control pad might have the capability to actually enter trades? I kind of doubt that the vertical row of buttons is for executing trades based on market depth display, but I could be wrong.

#13     Apr 4, 2006
  4. mokwit

mokwit

Used by salesmane and dealers for making and handling a high number of calls. Nowadays your cellphone has the same capabilities.

#14     Apr 4, 2006
  5. It's a squawk and dealing phone. It's useless for anyone outside of bank sales and trading.

#15     Apr 4, 2006
  6. I have the IPC Tradenet MX Turret... It's an interesting little device... I also happen to have a spare Sun Workstation sitting at home, so as soon as I buy the control cabinet, I will hook things up.

You may be able to get it to work with the following, if you can find them cheap:

1 Unix workstation (sun sparc, etc)
    1 Turret Control Cabinet (probably not cheap)
    A Turret (obviously)
    Control cables to connect the T to the TCC.

1 server running Linux and Asterisk PBX. You will also need a FXO card or E1 (I forget which one it is now, I don't have my notes in front of me) where the TCC can connect to the PBX.

The TCC can connect to the Asterisk PBX via the card (supplied by digium) and, theoretically, you can do the following from the Asterisk PBX:

1) Make VOIP outbound/inbound calls
    2) Buy a FXO card from Digium (makers of Asterisk) and terminate it to the PSTN (public switched telephone network)

Not exactly something simple, and may not be a "weekend" project, but it is doable.

I have not yet gotten PLAR to work with Asterisk, but then again, I'm still running a version of * that is almost a year and a half old, and those guys are all the time putting out new code into the project.

PLAR (private line automatic ringdown) = When you hit the pretty little button on the turret, it connects you to your counterparty instantly, no ringing.

This is my July summer project, to get all that mess working.

hope this helps,
    cbk

#16     Apr 4, 2006
  7. yeah that is the creme de la creme.. makes ours look like shit :(

#17     Apr 4, 2006
  8. FredBloggs

FredBloggs Guest

surfer - what the hell do you want a turret for?

ib's customer service will still suck whether you call them on your fancy turret, your cell, or fixed line. i dont think they will answer your calls any quicker either!

:D

these things are useful if you trade a load of otc or the upstairs market, but were increasingly seeing automated and electronic execution now - so i cant see the point.

maybe im missing something......

#18     Apr 4, 2006

9. yeah, fred. its more of a curiosity for me rather than an actual tool. i will try to get it to work, if not, a trading room sculpture.:D :D

surfer:D

#19     Apr 4, 2006

10. cool, chibond. thanks for the info. missed you at the manhattan motor car event last week.

take care,

surfer

#20     Apr 4, 2006