Trading TSLA?

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by PennySnatch, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Is anyone trading TSLA profitably? The damn thing moves almost 10 points a day and sometimes as much as 50. I trade it but I'm only breaking even i.e. the lord givith and I just givith back.

Thanks for any replies or insight.

2. ironchef

ironchef

PennySnatch likes this.
  3. Handle123

Handle123

I have TSLA as one of the stocks that gets traded on automation, not for those who are new to trading. You should stick to like IBM or Spy to get your experience on risk management and chart patterns. First 90 minutes in stocks/ETFs are usually huge and sharp moves, then "lunch" settles in for thee hours, learn to trade chop and you can do pretty good, you are looking for smaller bars and go with trend, buy/sell retracements. stay with it if you can till it breaks past pivots and get out soon after making little consistent chunks. TSLA, you can get out of half shares and try to get out more if it goes in your favor. For like the first 90 minutes, safer deal is doing credit/debit spreads so risk is limited till you gain your experience.

Yea, BABA looks like another good stock to day trade whether buy/sell, just matter of risk control comes first, then entry signal, if you don't understand risk well, don't trade anything.

PennySnatch and beginner66 like this.
  4. Pekelo

Pekelo

I hate when people saying this, because:

1. It indicates that the pros never lose and they know what they are doing all the time.
    2. It also indicates that a retail guy can't beat the pros.
    3. You never know who is on the other side and for what reason. If you are buying, the person might be selling because he made already enough. That doesn't mean the stock can't go higher or that the seller can not be wrong. He might just needed capital, we just don't know.

Try to look at the market as a wave and go with the flow instead of trying to fight it...

PennySnatch and jayjay121 like this.
  5. ironchef

ironchef

Thanks. I should be more positive.

I sure hope I will be selling because I make enough already.:D

6. ironchef

ironchef

IBM?

7. Handle123

Handle123

Not as wild.

8. fhl

fhl

9. comagnum

comagnum

Or consider trading from the hard right edge of the chart & holding longer. Pull the trigger and have a rising profit for months. The HFT's may have won the bid-ask spread but beyond that they only competition is with your own psychology.

Recent short - IBM. Gap trade. Looking for 2 subsequent breakaway gaps after the first one & got them - somewhat common. Shaded areas are estimated moves base on the prior down leg range. Many stocks are great for trading but not every day - maybe a few times a year during the breakouts. Why anyone would want to trade in chop is beyond me.

upload_2017-8-27_4-12-50.png

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  10. ironchef

ironchef

Two questions for you sir:

1. Trading breakouts is easier said than done. When do you enter?

2. Traders/investors that put a hard stop at $140 got picked off?

Thanks.

#10     Aug 31, 2017