Trading the VIX future

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Fierze, Apr 28, 2011.

1. That's why I was hoping there was a futures contract that mirrored the VIX. Not those VXX or VXZ things.

#41     Apr 29, 2011
  2. sle

sle

By definition there can not be such a contract since it would be arbable against regular S&P options. Give me a min, I will write a nice intro on how VIX, VIX futures etc work and how they relate to regular S&P options.

#42     Apr 29, 2011
  3. sf631

sf631

Agreed with the above comment that VXX, even if a horrible way to trade VIX, is a good approximation of the continuous contract type strategy - they basically just roll front and second month futures to keep a constant 30 day weighted expiry

Here's an article I posted a while back that highlights the problems with this trade. Note the second chart which shows typical month1/month2 roll yield going back 7 years. >75% of the time it's a steep contango, upwards of 10-15% per month.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/267...erm-futures-etn-swimming-against-the-currents

#43     May 23, 2011
  4. cvds16

cvds16

Jesus, how stupid are you ?

#44     May 23, 2011
  5. cvds16

cvds16

and no, there is no such thing like a 'continous' future contract. Read up on how futures are priced ...
    you seem to be having big opinions on all kinds of stuff but basically know nothing about anything ...

#45     May 23, 2011