Trading the VIX future

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Fierze, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Here's ^VIX vs VXX vs VXZ.

#21     Apr 29, 2011
  2. Fierze

Fierze

From what I've heard, the VXX and VXZ are less correlated with the VIX index than the pure futures are. Hence, I would prefer trading the futures even though that means rolling the instruments at significant cost.

#22     Apr 29, 2011
  3. Why would their be cost? Don't some futures brokers auto-roll over your contract? Or is that a separate instrument called a "continuous contract"?

What would be the costs associated with manually rolling it over? Two commissions?

#23     Apr 29, 2011
  4. Fierze

Fierze

There is not an actual "cost" (aside from two commissions) when rolling the contracts, but often a large difference in price level, eating away your profit potential.

For example, if you buy one VIX future which expires at level 16,5, the next months future may at the same time be at 17,5, so you might lose a point which would not be very good if you are bullish on volatility.

#24     Apr 29, 2011
  5. Ugh. They shoudl be equal.

So finding a broker with continuous VIX futures is the solution then.

#25     Apr 29, 2011
  6. There is no such thing as a "continuous contract." You have to roll futures and that is your cost.

#26     Apr 29, 2011
  7. Butterball

Butterball

Chart the $VIX spot index vs. the VXX ETF. That gives you approximative answers to all your questions. VXX includes all backwardation, contract rolls and fees to simulate slippage on contract rolls.

#27     Apr 29, 2011
  8. Some brokers have continuous contracts that don't have to be rolled over.

#28     Apr 29, 2011
  9. Then you're not trading VIX futures. You're trading a product they created and they're arbing you against VIX futures with your eyes wide shut.

#29     Apr 29, 2011
  10. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

What products are these?

I only know of the VXX, VXZ, etc.

They are expensive, but cheaper than doing the roll yourself every night if that's what you want.

#30     Apr 29, 2011