Trading the US T30-Bond

Discussion in 'Trading' started by mike greathead, Oct 30, 2004.

1. ramuk

ramuk

Is there a tracking stock for the 30 yr bond or the 10 yr note ?

I would prefer lower leverage than the futures market.

I would like to hold for upto 5 months.

#11     Nov 4, 2004
  2. Ebo

Ebo

Trade TLT.
    The "I Shares" 20 year plus E.T.F.
    It's liquid and trades with the US futures.
    I hope you mean "hold short"!

#12     Nov 4, 2004
  3. What exchange is that originating from?

Thanks
    :cool:

#13     Nov 4, 2004

4. Rotter in the Eurex Bund is reliably reported to do 1 M Euro + per day....

Search this website for details.

#14     Nov 4, 2004
  5. I've been watching and trading the T-Bonds lately using 1 and 5 minute charts. Not yet profitable as I'd like to be but I'm pretty green and am just getting my schedule adjusted so I can focus more AM time on Bond trading. Election night was a great one -WOW!

I would love $150K/day but I'd really be happy with that per year.

I have to agree that position trading Bonds is pretty good as well. I use the much-debated VantagePoint software for my position trading and it calls the Bonds and T-Notes pretty well -once you learn how to read it (that's the real key with VP, it's not "plain English"). I'm thinking of keeping a position on longer term and day trading as well to get the most out of those darn Bonds.

Lastly, anyone here trading pretty much every morning (NY Session) that would like to "IM" chat while in the session? It might be useful to discuss what we're seeing real-time, not to mention make us more accountable for our thought process and actions. I'm certainly willing to share what I do and how I approach Bond trading.

Good Trading!

CT

#15     Nov 4, 2004
  6. The ultra liquid markets are the hardest to trade. Many professionals have left the bund as the result of all the "flipping" going on. And the news spikes are gigantic! (enough to wipe you out in one stroke). After mastering the bund everything else seems tame.

#16     Nov 4, 2004
  7. One fundamental rule of my approach; exit prior to economic news of any consequence and before the end of any session. I would rarely if ever trade within 10 minutes after a major economic news release as well. The risk of losing $2K/contract in 5 seconds is not worth the potential gain in my conservative book.

CT

#17     Nov 4, 2004
  8. stav

stav

" .....Lastly, anyone here trading pretty much every morning (NY Session) that would like to "IM" chat while in the session? It might be useful to discuss what we're seeing real-time, not to mention make us more accountable for our thought process and actions. I'm certainly willing to share what I do and how I approach Bond trading.

Good Trading!."

CrazyTrader,
    IM during sessions is a great idea. I'm day/swing trading the 10year note (with relatively poor results i'm afraid, but I'm new to trading ...so ..hope) and it could be of mutual benefit to xchange few ideas. I'm travelling right now abroad, but I'll get in contact with you sometime early Dec. if you still around ..:).
    Stav

#18     Nov 5, 2004
  9. Great! I'll be here. I'm way too stubborn to give up on this! I look forward to "working with you."

Travel safely.

CT

#19     Nov 5, 2004
  10. Here we are 21 minutes AFTER the announcement and I've not made a trade yet. Instant $1500 move and mild fluctuations since. Bonds may well have made their move for the day and found 112'00 a happy spot to play out the session. I've seen it happen that way many times. The currencies should do some moving however has been my experience.

CT

#20     Nov 5, 2004