Trading The Same Stock Every Single Day

Discussion in 'Trading' started by mpbizman, Jun 23, 2010.

1. 90% of my trades are AAPL for the past 6 months. These partial fills are killing me.

794 shares.
    107 shares
    75 shares

Are there really so many Apple employees exercising their options????? May be they are like fruitcakes... got passed around from one Apple employee exercising options then to hundreds of other day traders. You bought 107 shares, you gotta sell 107 shares to the next guy, who sells 107 shares to the next guy, and so on until the clearing houses can match them with some other odd lots...

#21     Jun 24, 2010
  2. NoDoji

NoDoji

I stopped trading AAPL after its price topped $235. The partial fills were absurd, and the spread and jumpy price action became very annoying to me. I decided at that point trading AAPL made trading crude oil seem very tame, and I made the switch.

#22     Jun 24, 2010
  3. but didn't the bigger dollar amount move (same %) make up for that? you give up a few cents or a nickel but your p/l would be similar due to the bigger moves.

just asking as i've never traded aapl.

#23     Jun 24, 2010
  4. NoDoji

NoDoji

Before switching to futures I focused on AAPL, AMZN, POT and....X. I had some good trades on it, but it had a way of enticing me to go on tilt, overtrade and churn out a losing day where I paid more in commish than I actually lost trading. Often with X I'd have a stop 10 ticks away from the inside bid/ask and suddenly the stop was hit when I didn't even see price move there at all and the price would move in my favor without me. Chase, churn, chase, churn. I have no idea why I had such trouble with X, but it was quickly banished from my list.

One day my husband was testing a loss parameter on his ATS, needed to simulate a quick loss and asked me what to trade. I told him to trade X, surely he'd lose money. He was up $1500 in about 5 minutes trying to lose money with that POS.

:p

#24     Jun 24, 2010
  5. Hello

Hello

I would recommend trading the same stock day in and day out, when you are learning, especially if you want to be a scalper, it provides a good base to start trading, it only requires about 3-4 months for a person who has reasonable pattern recognition skills to learn the way one stock trades, and learn to become profitable on it. It definately gives you a feel for how the market works overall learning based on one stock, then you build off it based on your learnings, i have found some of the best traders i know who started this way.

#25     Jun 24, 2010
  6. yep, almost everyone that trades a stock for 3 or 4 months can make good money in it, just like goodbye says.

thats why 98% of daytraders fail, they only give it 10 weeks.

think about, all the amazing success stories here.

In a stock like APPLE, must be 1000 or more traders that trade it every day. They ALL make money just like goodbye says, and the only losers are the hft boxes, the market makers , and the ones that only trade apple 2 or 3 days a week, not every day.

so stick to one or two stocks, become an expert in no time, and enjoy the atm machine.

#26     Jun 24, 2010
  7. NoDoji

NoDoji

It had nothing to do with that. It was more a matter of my comfort with the price action. AAPL was fantastic for me and then it was no longer as predictable. Here are some of my journal notes just before I stopped trading AAPL:

"Took a couple AAPL trades after the news and got whipped around by the price action, was down $50. Why I even traded it in that choppy range I’ve no idea because price was jumping around 10-15 ticks a pop."

"...I expected AAPL to hit $230 today, but the price action was so wide and whippy and the breakouts shallow with quick deep pullbacks, that I was unable to trust myself on this and so I didn’t trade it at all."

No reason to keep trading something that I wasn't comfortable with anymore when I had POT, which was an ATM machine all this time with no problems, and also I was getting more active with ES and CL futures.

Stock-wise POT is still my favorite for smoothest price action and AMZN is a favorite for quick strong moves. I recently had some very nice AMZN trades again after taking a break from it and mainly trading POT.

#27     Jun 24, 2010
  8. Yolu know whats really a joke, take a stock like POT. Talk here about an atm machine . More BS.

Anyone here that can read an intraday chart, do this.

Lay POT against AAPL or any s&p stock , and tell me how it trades any different at all.

I hear these posers talking nonsense all the time about how this or that stock is EASY to trade, when in fact, they are rarely any different at all from the index.

If there's anything easy , it's not gonna be some s&p 500 stock.

#28     Jun 24, 2010

9. There wan an odd lot trade in AAPL that was passed around for 7 years before Steve Jobs finally came in himself and retired it.

#29     Jun 24, 2010
  10. Oh, I see what you're saying, the price action had changed dramatically is what i guess you're saying making your trusted set ups no longer valid.

#30     Jun 24, 2010