Trading The Opening Gap

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by Tall Mike, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Not saying your methods don't work or anything (just approaching with healthy skepticism as a potential buyer of your program), but why would you be selling your edge if they are working for you? Do you have P&L and or statistics around your gap trading you teach?

You can PM me if you want. I am not trying to put you on the spot or anything, but I am interested in purchasing your education if I feel you can provide me with enough evidence of the validity of it.

#41     Jun 27, 2020
    TimtheEnchanter likes this.
  2. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

No, for sec/ftc compliance I don't make any performance claims, I teach my lessons learned.

See what others say
    https://trademastery.com/trader-comments-howtotradegaps-com/

#42     Jun 27, 2020
  3. S-Trader

S-Trader

"The Pristine Method" had a pretty good system of rating and trading gaps, imo. Basically, the founders tried to create a semi-objective way of rating gaps based on 5 criteria, and then using prescribed criteria/patterns for entry based on the gap's rating -- essentially what you might do if you were attempting to create an algo for trading gaps. The approach is based primarily on continuation of the trend ignited by the gap, although there are techniques for fading certain types of gaps, and for trading other special types of gaps.

The original Pristine service was bought out by T3 Live, and is now called the T3 Live Strategic Day Trader. They produce a lot of free educational videos, as did Pristine... as well as the over a dozen trading services that were formed by former Pristine educators & students. Try Googling for the many free videos, webinars, articles, etc. produced by these various services and see if they might appeal to you. I don't think many of the Pristine-based traders adhere strictly to the original system now, but they still use the basic concepts.

I've seen one trading service that taught setups based on gap fills -- e.g., "gap fill & go" -- although I'm sure there are more. Ironically, they also came out of Pristine. But those were also based on specific types of gap, and not a blanket rule-of-thumb that "gaps tend to fill" (because I don't believe they do -- especially not the strong gaps, and especially not within a daytrading timeframe).

#43     Jun 27, 2020
    Tall Mike likes this.
  4. I have seen your website and it is professional but do you make money teaching or trading? I'd imagine if you wrote a book, perhaps you'd be ahead with less work. How do you have the time to trade and teach, I wonder? I am an author and publisher BTW.

#44     Jun 27, 2020
    Tall Mike likes this.
  5. Yeah sorry man. No offense but if I am going to pay somebody they need to show me some proof what they teach actually works.

#45     Jun 28, 2020
  6. Thanks brotha, Ill take a look at this.

Have you used their service before?

#46     Jun 28, 2020
  7. imjohn

imjohn

I usually just trade ES during RTH. If the session begins following a strong, overnight directional move (producing the "gap"), Im going to start my day off looking for signals in the same direction as that prevailing overnight momentum (continuation).

Starting a day looking for a reversal which will go on to fill the gap could lead to some big wins, but I'd expect its more likely the trader will spend their day fighting a more obvious trend.

#47     Jun 28, 2020
    Tall Mike and KCalhoun like this.
  8. Yeah from what Ive seen so far, it looks like its easier to just go with the momentum than to try and fade.

You don't trade individual stock gaps do you?

#48     Jun 28, 2020
  9. Gap trading is easy and a disciplined approach to buy/sell stocks

#49     Jul 1, 2020
  10. S-Trader

S-Trader

I've never subbed to the original Pristine/T3 service. Came close, but wound up going with one of the offshoot services for a couple years, in part because I liked the styles/personalities of the individual traders who left to form that. No longer a sub at that other service for various, personal reasons.

For *any* service you're even possibly considering out there, I'd strongly suggest first taking advantage of whatever free resources they have available out there... observing how they trade, their individual personality and what they do via trading social media (YouTube, FB, Twitter, StockTwits) if available... and connecting with other (unbiased) traders who have tried them, researching reviews and just trying to get a better feel for them overall. Only then, maybe consider doing a short-term, trial sub... fully expecting that they'll try to up-sell you to take their course -- which isn't necessarily unreasonable on their part imo, but not something you should commit to early on.

#50     Jul 4, 2020