Trading The Opening Gap

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by Tall Mike, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Do you have any advice on what might be a better place to look for an edge in trading the ES then?

#11     Jun 24, 2020
  2. Yeah, figured there was too much BS spewing around.

From my perspective, if I have an edge, why the hell would I be so willing to broadcast it and show it to other people?

Just trying to bounce ideas so that I can get myself in the right direction, I appreciate the input.

#12     Jun 24, 2020
  3. qlai

qlai

This is an interesting article. I think I got it off the internet awhile back, so it is/was public domain. I've not used any of this, but maybe it will give people some ideas.

#13     Jun 24, 2020
  4. Sprout

Sprout

Degap the previous day's RTH close to the current RTH open to see the continuity of context - like-to-like comparison of PriceVolume Relationship that is similar during the RTH.

#14     Jun 24, 2020
  5. Trading gaps can result in close to 100% in successful trades if you are prepared to hold the stock beyond intraday, as long as you are trading stocks with long term alphas greater than 1. In the video example the guy is trading airlines. He may be good at what he does. I wouldn't trade gaps in distressed companies, as a noob or pro.

#15     Jun 24, 2020
  6. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

Look at today's gap runners I traded SCO UVXY TZA FAZ etc

fazgp.jpg

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    #16     Jun 24, 2020
    Tall Mike likes this.
  7. SunTrader

SunTrader

Nonetheless take a look here - note I have no connection whatsoever with John Carter but he knows a thing or two:

https://www.simplertrading.com/trading-the-gaps/

#17     Jun 24, 2020
    Tall Mike likes this.
  8. #18     Jun 24, 2020
  9. Handle123

Handle123

The road will be disaster to those who don't even know differences between trading leveraged products and stocks. And those who speak of strategy knows nothing about chart patterns. You know to study couple years to better understand markets have differences and know like in breathing about chart patterns in up trend, downtrends, chop, with trends, against trends, knowing differences of setting up retail and trading against them.

Why should anyone show you anything? This is a dog eat dog war against others, your failure will benefit others. You think anyone with decent knowledge going to show you what it takes to be successful? Hell no. Stocks trends better than futures cause futures are a hedge. Most will steer you into signals which is but 1% and last in a trading plan. If you can't understand what has happened to the left of price action, much of the past will tell one whether to trade a signal or not. Risk management is my edge, taken last 10 years of my 42 years of trading to see huge differences in ways I once thought. The greatest risk now for me is scalping, whereas when I do long term or as low as 30 minute timeframes gets hedged and at time of entry I have positive expantentcy. Drawdowns are now very low, losing trades are very low, and when you hedge-perfect entry not required, but you better be very prepared to be able to read charting as well as I do, or you will be bait.

#19     Jun 25, 2020
    yc47ib likes this.
  10. easymon1

easymon1

LamboFan might -

#20     Jun 25, 2020